Old Laptop

Are you new to Linux? If so, I would recommend Linux Mint as it has a similar interface to Windows and generally is regarded as the easiest Linux for a Windows user to adjust to.

I've used linux before on and old Desktop i just wanna use something that wont slow down my computer since it's not that powerful.

since you've used linux before, I'd just mention that most linux distro's have different functions. as an all in one I'd say Ubuntu, it's small but includes everything you need to get up and running, and it has an incredible support base. Also, Ubuntu is excellent on all machines, new and old. I still run it on an old lappy with 156 meg ram and an old Pentium II processor, I mostly use it to make tools for my business, but it surfs ok and I use open office for documents

Might as well go with 64bit so you can take advantage of any memory you have. 32bit will only use 3 - 3.5GB of RAM (which includes VRAM), just like on Windows.

Might as well go with 64bit so you can take advantage of any memory you have. 32bit will only use 3 - 3.5GB of RAM (which includes VRAM), just like on Windows.

Actually....that only applies to Windows architecture. Linux is not limited in the same way to use memory. This would be affected most by your hardware, your motherboard and whether your cpu is a 64 bit cpu or not. A 32 bit Ubuntu system with PAE enabled can use 64 gbs memory
What's the maximum amount of RAM I can use on an specific hardware - Ask Ubuntu

I agree that a 64 bit o.s. would be best for you

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom