Ok so i installed linux...

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok, it does use rpm which is a "package manager" btw, which means it keeps a log and installs groups of programs, linux is modular with dependencies, meaning one program may need another to work, RPM is an attempt to solve that by getting and making sure you have what you need for install, and not wiping out stuff needed by other software om uninstall

try rpm -i <filename> ,check below first

type man rpm first and check its options, any command has a "man" file, its an online document system used by unix, little difficult to grasp at first, but its quite handy

ok i installed the drivers by using command 'rpm -Uh --force <filename>.rpm'

AND I GOT TO THE DESKTOP....albiet at only 640x480, and i can't change it...but it's some progress at least :)

wasnt so tough was it, biggest part of learning linux is where stuff is and what software does what your used to in windows

some of my personal favorites:
mplayer, best video player period on any platform
firefox browser
spruce for emai,thunderbird is good too
midnight commander for a filemanager, speedy and easily customized
openoffice for my office stuff
xmms fro mp3's
gimp for photo editing
acidrip fro ripping dvd's
ripperX for ripping cd's
limewire for p2p
xcdroast for burning cds
gtkam for getting pics off my camera
fluxbox for a GUI, light and fast

I can't seem to get gaim installed correclty, i used the YaST program and it installed fine, but when i open gaim the mouse turns into a timer and just rotates for about 2 minutes...then nothing happens...like i never clicked it.

goto /usr/doc /usr/share/doc and see if there's some docs with it, most programs have info there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom