Ok so i installed linux...

Status
Not open for further replies.

slvrstang

Daemon Poster
And now i wish to install my video card drivers...I made a first attempt through simple download and run commands, only to have it completely crash the GUI. So i read i need XFree86. I have no idea what that is, so i googled and found the website for it. The install process seems very complicated. Also on a side note, i am running SuSE 9.0 and i can't get my mouse to scroll the page with the wheel.

EDIT: So now i ran update, and it's installing all this stuff...so hopefully that will help somewhat.

So i read i need XFree86.
slvrstang,

You need Xfree86??? It must be already in your system :rolleyes: . Xfree86 is somekida server to run the gui in linux systems ,as far as i know.
I think you need to 'edit' the Xfree86 file before doing a graphics card install. Atleast that is what I did for my installation.

xfree86 is an X server, so is X.org

Suse comes with X already installed

try as root from a terminal XF86Config, may be other variations on that, like small case xf86config, usually typing the first few letters then hitting the tab key will complete the command for you

you need to know your video and monitor settings

if you have an nvidia card with a GPU goto nvidia's site and download their drivers, same with ATI

When i try to do ,startx it says that the server is already running? What exactly does X do?

X is a graphics server, the GUI itself is a client of that server, startx command starts the xserver and provided youve got an xinitrc file somewhere, that starts your GUI.Unlike windows you can use different xservers and GUI's, your not stuck with just one, and by making it a server it can run more than one display and with multiple users

did you ever configure X?, you should have and xconfig file somewhere

that scroll mouse is supported too more than likely

Alright, so now i try to run X, or starx, and neither of those commands work. I am in the Ctrl-Alt-F1 "desktop" which is just a DOS like console. If i switch to any of the F2-F6's i get a Black DOS-like command prompt, and at F7-F9 i get nothing but a cursor and F10 is like a debug thing or something. I can no longer enter the GUI screen after trying to do xf86config. I suck at linux :(, this is probably why linux isn't doing so well in the market, the average user can't use it. If anyone knows ANYTHING about this please explain in somewhat simple terms, as i don't yet know many of the commands general form. I just got this installed last night.

when it boots up what do you get, a console or terminal--->screen with prompt

or a graphic screen? Sounds like its booting straight to GUI with X running, you just dropped into a console outside of X by hitting ctrl-alt-Fx, by hitting alt-f7 you should be able to return to the Xsession if its running, this is normal and ok.Ctrl-alt-backspace kills an xsession usually.

the Xserver setup has to be done usually from a terminal screen as ROOT, meaning your the superuser or GOD on the system, that means you have all priveledges.Regular users do not have these commands available.It also should be done when X isnt running.

I know your getting frustrated, sometimes it can be tough, linux means some learning, it isnt windows, if your looking for a turnkey solution try knoppix or any other "live" cd distro that runs from the CDROM, no harddrive req'd, its a good way to learn.

When it boots it goes to a command prompt. If i hit Ctrl-Alt-F7 I get nothing but a blinking cursor. The screen it boots to a light shade of blue and is command prompt only. No mouse interface. I log in as root and try to do "startx" and i get an error and if i do "kde" <==i think thats the GUI's name i get an error.

Well this is the 2nd time it's died on me to where i can't get the GUI back, so yes its frustrating, but i need to get this thing going. When i run x86config i fill in all the info it asks for and when i run it, the screen blinks a few times or just turns black and gives me an orange status light meaning no signal. I have to use Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to get back to the terminal/console.

ok log in as root and run xf86config or XF86Config........not sure which, enter your settings, now if your card isnt supported enter some generic settings and we'll go from there.What kind of graphics card do you have?

next, type cd /etc/X11;ls that will list whats in /etc/X11, see if there's a directory called xinit, if there is go in there and see whats in there, cd xinit;ls

should be a few options for GUI choices in there, post whats there if thats where Suse puts it, not entirely sure, but that is usually the case.

Ok so i went to the etc/X11 directory and found xinit and went in there

in there i have options of xinitc and serverrc and neither of those work when i run them. I get a "no moniter" error when i run serverrc and i get the same error for xinitc as when i type kde.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom