ok finally im gonna do it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you changed your driver in xorg.conf to fglrx like it says, and your card is unsupported in fglrx (like mine is, also), then that will keep X11 from starting. My best advice is to just wait for fglrx to support your card before you try Beryl again, or try it with the ati/radeon drivers provided by XOrg (not recommended - Beryl has a tendency to freak out).

As for the sound card, hop over to the Advanced Linux Sound Architecture - ALSA Soundcard Matrix and check that your cards ARE supported. If they are, try to pop open a terminal, and run sudo alsaconf and follow the steps.

thanks, where can i get the XOrg drivers from? ill try the sound card thing when im back home though i know my card is supported coz its worked before just after first reboot it stops. also what exactly do i type into the terminal?

They're already installed, just do:

sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

This will open a text file, go down to the "Section Device", and look where it says:

driver "fglrx"

And change it to

driver "ati"

If that doesn't work, change it to

driver "radeon"

And as a last resort, you can use:

driver "mesa"

If you are stuck in console mode (when the X server doesn't want to start) you can't use gedit, so you must open the file with this command:

sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Gedit is a graphical text editor, nano is a text-based console text editor.

i really do appreciate al the input guys thnaks.

ok ill try all of this when im back home one thing that comes to mind is how do you learn these commands? are there sites you used when you were new to linux? if so it would prob help to shut me up lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom