ok finally im gonna do it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi again, installed ubuntu on my machine and it was a lot more hassle. now its all done and i did the ATI drivers thing but when i click on desktop effects i get the error "the composite extension is not available" bah?
also i installed beryl but how do i activate it?

erm im still kinda lost,remember how new i am to linux and that link is full of "command this command that " is it possible to download an older version of beryl using synaptic.
also why cant i get the ubuntu desktop effects to work, even without beryl?

i do appreciate your patience

To start Beryl run "beryl" from the terminal. Normally I'd tell you to run it with Alt-F2, but you'll want to see the errors it gives you since it probably won't start.

Sorry I can't be more help when it comes to getting it to work right, but I don't do ATI.

With ATi, they left the Composite extension (which is needed to run the Desktop Effects and Beryl) out of the fglrx drivers. That is why we all hate ATi cards in the Linux world (though they are great for gaming, Windows or Linux...). You'll need to learn the commandline sooner or later, it's a Linux must. You can do most of what it tells you in Synaptic, but it'd be more confusing for some of the advanced features. Basically, just copy and paste the commands in. First, you'll need to install Xgl, then make a setup script, and install Beryl. It sounds hard but it's very well explained in this guide (the one I used to install Beryl with):

Beryl and XGL on Ubuntu Linux with ATI card (Dapper Drake) ~ Where I write my things and thoughts

thanks im gonna give it ago. im sorta learning how to use the terminal but ive only been a linux user for a matter of hours :D anyways guys thanks im gonna give the link a try... *wishes i bought the nvidia equivalent to my GFX card*

ok i get to this step in the terminal

"sudo aticonfig --initial" and i get "sudo: aticonfig: command not found"

EDIT done that bit, finishes it all and well couldnt have gone anyworse, i rebooted ubuntu after completing the guide word by word, and i get an error about the "x serevr" beig screwed ( i interpreted it as "you just ****ed up your GUI well done buddeh") so yeah.
but after doing sum research i found that the fglx drivers dont support my card yet i have the x1950 pro, the card list for fglx stops at x1900 so maybe thats why? really hating on ATI right now and now i have to reinstall ubuntu...
thanks anyways man

Whoa! Whoa there! Why are you reinstalling Ubuntu if the only problem you're having is with X11??

Rule number 1 of Linux: MOST things can be fixed without EVER reinstalling. You lose valuable skills if you just reinstall everytime something goes wrong.

Whoa! Whoa there! Why are you reinstalling Ubuntu if the only problem you're having is with X11??

Rule number 1 of Linux: MOST things can be fixed without EVER reinstalling. You lose valuable skills if you just reinstall everytime something goes wrong.

well i couldnt boot into ubunutu properly and switching between ubuntu im kinda new so ill bear that in mind.

im having some big difficulties with ubuntu:

first one being the desktop effects with my GFX card ATI RADEON X1950

second being soind, when i instlal ubuntu it works ok then after reboot i get nothing.i have 2 sound adapters an onboard and a pci card, i clicked on the master volume buton and changed device to the one it was on when it worked and nothing, i went into system>preferences>sound and changed it all there to and stil nothing??

also any heads up on what screwed ubunutu up when i followed that tut on getting beryl to work

If you changed your driver in xorg.conf to fglrx like it says, and your card is unsupported in fglrx (like mine is, also), then that will keep X11 from starting. My best advice is to just wait for fglrx to support your card before you try Beryl again, or try it with the ati/radeon drivers provided by XOrg (not recommended - Beryl has a tendency to freak out).

As for the sound card, hop over to the Advanced Linux Sound Architecture - ALSA Soundcard Matrix and check that your cards ARE supported. If they are, try to pop open a terminal, and run sudo alsaconf and follow the steps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom