ok finally im gonna do it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
In Ubuntu, you don't necessarily DOWNLOAD drivers, in fact, you should avoid it when possible. Ubuntu has what's called a Repository of programs, and you use Synaptic Package Manager to install them.

If I remember correctly, the 'nvidia-glx' package is the drivers you'll need for any nVidia card (been a while since I used my old geforce4, now I have a radeon).

You can install it in one of two ways:

1) You can open a terminal (applications-> accessories-> terminal) and type the following:
sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx

It will install the drivers for you.

2) You can use Synaptic: Open System --> Admin --> Synaptic Package Manager, then click Search and type nvidia-glx. It will display a list of packages, select nvidia-glx, and install it (you must click Apply to install after you select the packages).

If these don't work, you have to enable repositories, open Synaptic Package Manager, click Settings --> Repositories, and select all of the repositories, then apply. You'll then have to RELOAD, then you can try the above steps again.

For the ATi drivers, the package you need to install is "xorg-driver-fglrx" (I think it is anyways), you can use synaptic or:

sudo apt-get install xorg-driver-fglrx

wow thanks only jesus knows how you know that off thetop of your head and how im ever gonna get the hang of this but thanks, also one last (for now) problem

at the risk of sounding ignorant... where do i store stuff under the (my computer) type thing i can only access drives used by windows and one called "file system" ?

and i cant seem to figure out how to readjust the screen position? thanks for all the help im gonna go play now :D

Linux doesn't use the all-so-familiar My Computer ( :( ), but it uses something called Root. It's like, in Linux, everything is like one big drive, where other drives appear as folders within this main drive. The main drive is called the Root, and is located at /. Your desktop is located at /home/<username>/Desktop. Everything is under the / directory, like your CD drive is /media/cdrom or /media/dvdrom, etc. Your Windows drives appear, and you can click on them to "mount" them. Mounting is when it takes a drive and adds it to the filesystem. Your Windows drives usually mount at /media/disk. You can write anywhere on the filesystem that you have permission, whether it's your Windows drive, or your home folder. If you're used to the My Documents place from Windows, you can create yourself a My Documents folder in your user directory or on your Desktop, and save stuff there. You can also make a link to your Windows directory:

In console (Applications->Accessories->Terminal), this code creates a shortcut.
sudo ln -s "/media/disk/Documents and Settings/Owner/My Documents" "/home/<user>/Desktop"

with the format:
sudo ln -s "<destination of shortcut>" "<location of the link>"

Edit:
And for the screen problem, that's adjusted on your monitor usually. If you have a CRT, then hit the menu button and adjust the horizontal position/size and vertical position/size, if you have an LCD, it may have an auto fit option.

EDIT^^ the drivers were installed and realigned the screen itself love those desktop effects the cube effect :D but i can switch the cube round sideways but how can i do it up and down?

P.s linux is great, to all newcomers its a scary thought at first but linux is great and ubuntu is really easy on the beginner

thanks again for the reply on the my computer thing

To free-rotate the cube (Compiz or Beryl both use this), hold Alt and Ctrl, then left click and drag around. To zoom in, hold Super (usually the Windows key), and spin the mouse wheel. To make a window transparent, hold Alt and rotate the wheel.

If your system is capable of the Desktop Effects that are included, you may want to try installing Beryl. I had a hard time but that's because the ATi drivers are horrible for desktop effects, I've heard they work well on nVidia.

You can go in Synaptic and search for Beryl, install a few packages and see if it works. Also the Emerald themer (when you have Beryl running) allows for Vista-like glass menus.

wow lol i love this thanks for the all the good help gonna try this beryl, one thing i cant leave behind is my beloved MSN is there an app you could recommend so i can still sign in and chat?

Gaim Instant Messenger is a multi-protocol IM client, it's preinstalled under Apps -> Internet -> Gaim. You can set up Aim, Yahoo, MSN, Google Talk, etc... on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom