ok, been reading about ubuntu 7.10...

Status
Not open for further replies.

atomic tofu

Fully Optimized
specifically, I'm one of those few open minded people in the world :p

I love MS/Windows/Vista :D

I like to mess around with a lot.
I usually only like to mess with a linux variant in vpc on Vista.

I've got my ubuntu 7.10 discs...and today I loaded the live cd just to test

Reading all day on it...some sources say I might have a problem with ubuntu thrashing the vista boot loader, some sources say I will get no hitch.

What say ye?
:D

Will I have to pull out my Vista disc to repair anything? Or will I only have to do that if I want Vista's boot loader as commander?

GRUB will isntall and you will haev the option to choose Vista in GRUB. After choosing Vista you will get the BCD (Vista Boot loader) and it will be just fine. If you want you can remove GRUB and boot into Ubuntu directly with the BCD. Use EasyBCD. Check their site for all the info needed.

i've been reading all day because of.....dialup too... :p hehe
curse me and my 56k

I hate it when I find conflicting data ;)

I am going by personal experience. I have not had any issue with triple booting XP/Vista/Ubuntu no matter how or when they are installed. It doesn't even matter which order. I can always use the BCD to choose which OS i want and select from there and boot. ;)

But then again i know a lot about EasyBCD and can do this. Check out the forums there or the wiki. It sucks being on dial up but i am sure no matter what you choose to do. You can always use the BCD to boot with. Even if at first you "lose it" you can always get it back and restore order to the chaos.

I'm with Makaveli. When I was triple booting, I used Vista's. I... don't really like Grub that much. It's broken on me a couple of times, so I just stopped using it and got easybcd. It's really easy to setup too.

But to answer your question. I believe that when you are installing ubuntu, it will ask you where to install grub. You can then have it be on the linux partition instead of the mbr. I didn't do this personally. I installed grub as the main bootloader and kept it for awhile, but I didn't like it. It was awhile ago so I can't remember if I had to do a repair or not, but even if you do have to... it's not that big of a deal. Once you have the vista bootloader dominating the other os 's on your drive, boot into vista and install easybcd. It takes less than one minute to set it up just how you like.

ubuntu 7.10 64bit dual booted with my vista 32
of course, I just installed it and on reboot chose vista...so who knows what will happen when I go back to ubuntu, hehe

I dl'd easybcd for backup just in case

I can say this....I prefer Vista's mahjong over ubuntu's....lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom