Nvidia Driver Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazerman

Fully Optimized
Okay, so I have the drivers download (using Kubuntu distro), now I want to install them.

So I open up the Konsole (Terminal) and type "sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7676-pkg1.run" since that is the file name, it acts like it is about to install but then it says "ERROR: nvidia-installer must be run as root", so how do I get into root? I googled it up but everything I saw wasn't very newb friendly (first day using linux, dual boot xp). I need help in a bad way lol

Perhaps the biggest flaw with the Ubuntu family is that there is no root password by default. You need to set one.

Open the console, and type 'sudo passwd root' and it will prompt for a new UNIX password. Enter a password you can remember. It may ask for a confirm of the password, so be prepared to enter it twice.

Then, after you get back to the prompt, type 'su', and you will be prompted for a password. Enter the one that you just set.

You will be presented with a prompt again. This is the root console. From here, you can install the drivers. Good luck.

Thanks so much, that was the problem, I kept trying to enter my password but it didn't have one lol.

Another issue has arisen. First off, it said I had to install the package binutils, so I did with Adept. Took care of that.

Now it says I need to stop all my X servers. I read this in the readme file but it didn't necessarily say how to do it. So how do I stop them:
ERROR: You appear to be running an X server; please exit X before
installing. For further details, please see the section INSTALLING
THE NVIDIA DRIVER in the README available on the Linux driver
download page at www.nvidia.com.

logout from the window manager your using

after your done running the Nvidia setup program you will have to edit the xorg.conf file as well, the Nvidia file has a readme file, look at that and follow the directions exactly

well some distros get you to a login page once you log out and have no option for console. here's another way to do it.

1. first make sure your kernel and kernel source versions match, otherwise your installation won't go through.
2. in a terminal type "sudo init 3" without the quotes of course.
3. enter your root password (the one you created earlier as suggested)
4. enter the commands needed to install (i think it's sh nvidia-file.run -q) and follow prompts. when it's done type "init 5" without the quotes again.

you should be back on your desktop.

Okay I found an easier way, just login in console mode. All is fine and dandy, I have had to install a couple more packages...

Now I am getting an error that it can't find the kernel source tree for the current kernel... How do I figure this out? I realize this was the first thing you listed but I assumed they matched...

Also it says it can't find a precompiled something or rather, nor can it find one to download, which is where I press ok to make my own and then the above happens (kernel source).

well first off, don't assume in Linux. the whole point of it is to KNOW your system to be able to make changes to it.

now, depending on the distro you're using, you need to connect to their ftp update server and retrieve the kernel-source matching the kernel installed in your system. you can find out your kernel version by typing "uname -r" (i think, someone verify it?) in a console.

or you can get the matching kernel sources from here: http://www.kernel.org/

I think Ubuntu uses system package managers. You can look for one of those and search for Kernel sources.

Well, nforce drivers are very easy to install and they really help.

My LAN wasn't working until I installed them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom