NooBie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well then, welcome to the wonderful world, gentlemen. I hope everything goes smoothly.

Then you'll love a *nix box. I've never had a system crash... had the odd program freeze, but it *rarely* (virtually never) affects the system as a whole.

I found a copy of Slackware V.2 in my house last night *Laughs*
apperently my dad had it...

Im gonna go with RH9(of course)

will my comp have a problem with me partitioning my 80GB into 2 pieces and installing Linux on the other side or do I need to get a boot agent

If it's a new drive (ie. no data), then it won't be a problem. If you're going to dual boot with something like windows, I would suggest partitioning the drive in half, then installing windows first (as it has a tendency to overwrite any bootloader and make other os's unreachable) then install your rh, which will happily coexist with windows. RH should paritition things for you (you just assign it the freespace on your drive that it's to use) or you can manually partition... your choice. From there, it will install GRUB (bootloader) by default or you can choose to install LILO (LInuxLOader) onto your MBR which will then give you the option at boottime as to which OS you care to load. And that's roughly that.

If you have data on the drive already, like an OS or whatever, and you don't want to wipe it, then you'd have to use something like parition magic or whatever other progs are out there to sesize your partition so that you have unassigned freespace on your drive for linux to sit on.

Okay I have win XP already installed and I just borrowed a copy of partition magic from my school and I got my hands on a copy of RH8 from a teacher (this way I dont have to download it) it may only be 8 but I get to try it out if I like it I can upgrade

good stuff... i don't actually think you'll be needing to upgrade to v9 of RH. I don't believe too much has changed. You may wish to upgrade or change windowing environments, but v8 is relatively current and should run quite well. I do recall it having a flaw in its graphical firewall setup... it applied changes made, it just didn't display them.

Does rh 8.0 support wifi? i had a cd with 7.2 ( think) and it didnt support wifi, then i upgd'd to 9.0, and it did support wifi....

gl, let us know how it goes.

I formated my HDD and partitioned it with Partition Magic
I installed XP on partition 1 and installed linux on partition 2 it installed just fine it didn't like my sound card.

after much deliberation I decided to hold off using Linux till I get a second HDD

and I screwed up XP so I deleted all the partitions but it still gave me a linux Prompt...

it took me 5hrs to get it working in XP again
I had to try 3 different OSs till I could get 98 installed and upgrade to XP

it seems to me that Linux goes in easy but it is a pain to get out...

Thanx for all the help

ok im linux newbie also. I started working with java and i higly prefer to work on a unix based machine then xp. I jsut have a few questions...

Say i create a new partition using partition magic, do i install the linux os the same way i would install an application. Or do i have to reboot in dos, or something like that.

Does linux, RH9 by the way, come with a java compiler. This might be a stupid question, but once again im a newbie. I know solaris unix does, but not RH9.

-soundgarden.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom