Non-Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

zmatt

The Bulldog
this is a weird question i know, but does anyone know of any Open source OS's that aren't BSD or Linux based? I'm just curious about what projects are going on that follow their own path. I already know about Haiku OS aka OpenBeOS. but im sure there are others.

interesting. its cool that someone is trying to make a win32 compatible OS instead of cutting themselves off from the wintel world entirely. i always thought that was one of linux's weaknesses since most people even if there are comparable linux apps, still like their windows ones.

Not currently. A goal in my life is to make an OS of my own that will run everything. Or as close to it as possible. Be able to run both Win32 junk and Linux junk. But, i've still got many, many years ahead of me. Heck, i only know Visual Basic 6.0, and even then, not the whole language.

Start learning python, C, C++, java, bash, etc... Oh, and study the linux kernel source and the wine source, that should give you a good start. It's going to take a while. :(

yeah nobody ever said writing an OS was easy. and it always takes more than one programmer. it takes teams. my freind tried to write his own, based around fluxbox, and he got bogged down real fast. but yeah ;earn the big languages. and join a team, it can be fun.

There's the GNU Hurd kernel.

I don't know if they ever got got something that would compile and work, though.

Edit:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurd

Here's a quote from the article "The latest release of the Hurd is version 0.2. It is fairly stable, suitable for use in non-critical applications. It is not yet suitable for a production environment."

So, apparently they did get it to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom