Newbie seeks feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ares

In Runtime
I'm totally new to Unix and Linux and will be purchasing several books on the subject within the week, but i'd like to get some of your own opinions... from people who have worked with linux/unix and those who are still learning...

What, in your own opinion, is a good reliable (and fairly easy to use/experiment with), version of unix for a beginner like myself to start with? What versions did you start with? What do you like the most? And why? I'd like any feedback on this topic, as it'll help me in my own course of studies. Thanks.

:cool:

Hmm. Thanks for the reply, Oberjaeger, i don't think i've come across Debian before. I'll have to check that out. I have had my eye on SuSe and Redhat. I agree with what you said about the learning process slowing down and using wizards. I've always prefered doing things myself (manually without wizards). I learn best that way.

What would be best for running a webserver/email server/chat server? If you had to pick just one? And why?

Again, i'm totally new... although i'm sure i'll form my own answers to these questions over the course of the next few weeks/months as i delve more into the subject.

Thanks again for the reply.

Well you've been really helpful, Oberjaeger. I'm glad someone isnt afraid to voice their opinion on the topic... seems everyone else is quiet!

I dont see any "pro-foo, anti-debian flames" commencing... yet.

You completely lost me with talk of RPMs but i'm sure i'll find out what that is soon enough (sucks being new to stuff... but then again it's also a somewhat magickal time... i remember when the internet was new to me... ahh i miss those days!).

As a general rule i've always been weary of software that comes out and quickly puts out a high number of releases.... version 9.0, version 10.0, version 11.9... LoL. So yeah, i know what you mean about Debian 3.0.

I have heard of Knoppix.

Clear text passwords??

Strange placement of files where they shouldn't be? Oh no. Reminds me of my irc scripting days and dealing with buggy chatbots. Say it isn't so!

So far you're the only one with a voice. Anyone else have anything to add or say?

Oberjaeger said:
Just to clear things up. .rpms and .debs are two forms of packages used in *nix.
Under windows you get a program as an .exe file, under *nix you'll get something like a .deb or .rpm.

I get it. So they're like the windows compiled executables.

With *nix the philosiphy is that you put only whats necessary in a package and tell the package what other programs it needs to run with. .debs have, imo, the best way of handling this without you having to sit there installing other packages that you need by hand.

Interesting. I like that concept.

Another great thing about debian is that all .debs have to comply with certain standards.
If the original developer of a program decided that he wants his log files to go to /usr/share/foo/bar/log and his conf files into /tmp/stuff/important then the .deb maintainer will change that so that the files are where they should be.

Kewl. So the control is in the OS (debian maintainer) and not so much in the program. Windows certainly isnt like that. Heck, install the wrong program and it goes free nillywilly and does whatever it wants! If you're trying to turn me on to Debian... it's working. hehe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom