New video settings killed root??!

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitaloracle

Daemon Poster
Recently, while shutting down my mandrake linux server, I decided to try and get a little more than 800x600x4 out of my *very* old video card (it's a server, so graphics aren't a priority, but 800x600 is tough to work in). Apparently the card couln't take it, because when I logged out to apply the changes, instead of going to the graphical login, it went to a bash login, and a reboot doesn't restore that graphical login.

That's ok, I said to myself, I'm going to buy a new box soon anyway, I'll just start apache and back up my MySQL phpbb database. But when I tried to login as root from teh bash prompt, despite my trying the password I had always used as the root password 5 or 6 times, it always gave me "login incorrect." Thinking it wanted me to log in as a normal user and su to root (I'm a bit of a newbie to linux), I tried that. After bash complaining about passwrods being expiredon the normal account(despite my best efforts to disable that in the mandrake config), i logged in as "system"- one of my normal users. try to su to root, and i get
[system@192]$su root
Password (type in the right pass)
Your account has expired; please contact your system administrator
su : incorrect password

I want to know why and how to fix this. It would aslo be nice to know how to edit X11/KDE resolution and color depth settings from bash and restore my graphical interface. Any assistance would be appreciated.

EDIT:
The root pass I am using is valid, I halted the system, and it prompted for thr root pass and mine was accepted, so the password being invalid does not appear to be the issue here.

OK. After some work, I have determined that the account has been "marked" as expired. I have booted into single user mode, and can edit whatever file nedds to be edited to unexpire root. All I need is that filename and what to do with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom