New to Unix...copied my Midterm?

throwawayzix

Beta member
Hey all,

So I've got a UNIX/Linux class. I also have a non-related class that is a basic IT course (im a junior sys admin).

Messing around with FileZilla, I found that my professor in the non-related class left his Midterm.doc permissions open so that I could copy / download and execute them. Well, that's what I did. I downloaded them using FileZilla and placed them on my desktop.

Regardless of legality, will the professor (not knowing UNIX whatsoever), be able to tell that I've downloaded the .doc from his directory structure?

Depends on if they have file auditing enabled, logs enabled on their FTP (they surely do), and if they decide to look at such logs.

Most likely yes, logs are enabled by default on most prepackaged ftp installs on *nix

Guess that means OP better fess up, or hope they don't check logs :p.

I'm going to go with the "I hope they dont check the logs" :p

After discussing with my boss (sys admin), he laughed and said well, is it in a location you are not prohibited? Technically, no. I am exercising my knowledge learned from my Unix & Linux class and applying it to another course. In doing so I also obtained a copy of the midterm. Is it ethical? Not really. Is it my fault he left the midterm.doc in a location that can be easily accessed without any restrictions? Nope.

Hope this goes well!

Back
Top Bottom