New Ubuntu Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

KSoD

Call me Mak or K, Mod Emeritus
Okay so i got a new video card recently. It was a step up from my 6800 i was running. Now when i had run Ubuntu with tha card i have had no issues. But now after installing the Restricted Driver i freeze up the system when selecting a Screen Saver.

Just opening the Windows causes all of Ubuntu to crash. The mouse moves but nothing else happens at all. I have to hard reset (Hold down the power switch till it shuts down) to get control back.

Now this is just when selecting a screensaver. I have not even tried to let it go to the screensaver. I do not even want to try that.

Anyone heard of anything like this or how i can just remove the screen saver and have a blank screen without loading the window?

Right mak to cover the basics, Got the latest updates, are you sure it's the right driver ect? sorry for the basics just want to make sure there coverd. Oh an what version of ubuntu?

Fresh install of Ubuntu. Got all 204 updates and let them install. System said that there was no more updates to get. The driver was the one that it said i needed. I didnt bother to check it. It just said there was a restriced driver available and i installed it.

Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy is the one i am running. I do not have the Gutsy to run 8.04 Beta yet. Pun intended.

PS the card i run now is a 8600GT. Might help to know that as well.

The restricted driver? Just click the icon in the task bar at the top. Got the REstricted Driver window. Clicked enable, asked for Root password, gave it, downlaoded and installed the driver. Restarted.

It works just fine if i do not go into the Screen Saver selection window. But if i go there it crashes.

OK you said your apprehensive to let it run the screen saver, let it run once an see what happens. Is it just the screen savers menu or is it any others?

So far it has just been the screen saver menu. I will go back in Ubuntu and check others out and let the screen saver start. See what happens. Will post back later.

ok mak as you know i just got ubuntu running inside a VM do you know if you can tell it to use a specific set of hardware that i don't have on my comp? I would give it a try for you at my end an see if i can get the same problem.

There is no way to force unused hardware AFAIK. Since it is basically just a extension of your machine.

I can say this. So far it is just that Window. Just ran the sound to try and get 5.1, which i do not know how to do, and it worked. Also got the Synaptic loaded and got some stuff installed. So far it is just the Screen saver that crashes it.

Also how do i go about installing Firefox 3 Beta 4 on here?

Another new development. Guess what? The issue with the Screen saver window resolved itself. I do not know how. But i was able to finally get into the window and change my screen saver without a freeze. Time to restart. I have to get Emerald loaded.

Another question aside from the Firefox Beta one. How do i get and load new icons? I dont like the default Human ones. I already use Emerald for themes which i know where to get them from. But i do not know about icons. I was able to change my fonts though.

Time to merge posts....:p

GNOME-Look.org is a good place to find themes and stuff, so look for some icons there.

Download an icon pack, right click your desktop, click Change Desktop Background, click the Theme tab, then click Install and select the archive with your icons in it. After that you should be able to hit Customize and select your icons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom