New to Ubuntu, hi!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like Ubuntu doesnt recognize your NIC card.

I know whenever I use Ubuntu for the first time (fresh install LiveCD etc), I have to enable the wireless and switch from NIC to WiFi. Rightclick on the disconnected-cable icon in the notification area, and if it recognizes your wireless card in your laptop, it should have a bubble to click next to Wireless and should have a signal strength meter next to it. Click on that, and it should switch from hardwired to wireless.

Ok, ya I'm trying to connect to my wireless network.

I don't understand where you want me to go carnage...

I run the hardware testing and it detects everything but fails at the internet part of the test.

Does it detect your network card? Look up at the notification area (the Linux equivalent of Windows' System Tray) and see if you have a networking icon (two computers). If you do, right click it and it should show wireless networks available if your card is set up correctly. If they show, just pick your connection and enter your WEP/WPA key. If they don't show, or you don't have a wireless device listed at all, try using the Restricted Drivers Manager (might be like Hardware Drivers in the new Ubuntu, it's in System>Administration) to install firmware or drivers. If you're using a Broadcom card (many cards are Broadcom, they're pretty common), then you'll need a proprietary firmware which the manager will install for you. If you're using Intel wireless, it should have automatically installed when you installed Ubuntu.

Go to System->Administration->Network and check if your wireless card is listed. If it is disable the roaming mode and configure it.
You can also configure it with the iwconfig on the terminal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom