New Rig - XP sees SATA. Hardy doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mak-

That sounds good, and that's basically my plan. I don't plan to strip anything from the XP install, and I have no problem using a DVD. I caught a killer sale on newegg a few weeks back of 100 DVD's for a ridiculously low price, so that's quite all right to use them. :)

Mak, let this jog your brain a little bit. My old system is as follows:

AMD single core 3000+ 1.8GHz Venice
MSI K8n Neo-4 Platinum motherboard
2gb DDR 400 RAM

On that system, I had a 250gb SATA drive (XP and Ubuntu installed on it) and I later upgraded to a 500gb SATA drive, where XP and Ubuntu were also installed on it.

That 500gb SATA drive I spoke about on my old system is the current main hard drive of my new system. So somehow on my old system, I had Ubuntu and XP to work... on the same hard drive... without ANY problems and without ANY configuring whatsoever.

How? If Ubuntu does NOT support IDE Legacy (as I've been reading) yet XP Pro SP2 (by default) doesn't support AHCI, how in the **** did I get it to work?

The hard drive I am using from old system to new system is the same.
The XP installation CD I am using from old system to new system is the same.

Why the problem? Why now?

It sounds as if the BIOS configuration was setup differently. Cause for me Ubuntu did support IDE Legacy but not AHCI. So that could be why it worked for you back then.

I am working on a Dell BIOS and it is at least a couple years old now. So it would seem that the newer BIOS' setup is different than it was and that is where the problem is coming in.

So you're saying... old BIOS could support SATA Drives/Ubuntu/IDE Legacy, but it's possible new BIOS does not.

As odd as it would be, in my educated guess, for a motherboard company to stop support on legacy hardware, I just have a hard time believing that. But the strange part is, that's the ONLY way any of this makes sense. In this case, the only thing that changed was the motherboard. Same drives. Same install CDs. Same versions of each OS. Yet, doesn't work.

I'm going to give nLite a shot. It sounds like a cool utility I could use here at work, anyway.

That would be my guess. Cause i dont have AHCI on. Yet i have installed Ubuntu several times on this system. I currently have Kubuntu 8.04 installed.

Drivers and Downloads

That is my current BIOS and the last one released by Dell. If i turn on AHCI i can not install Ubuntu. Which is the problem i had getting XP installed as well. But by turning off AHCI and leaving it in IDE mode they both install just fine.

I knwo it seems odd but this is what i have experienced. I can only talk from my experience with these things cause well i have only worked with them this way.

Maybe it is just my setup that is backwards. Could be totally true. But this is how it works for me.

Nah, that makes sense, Mak. Think about it. If your board is a bit older (meaning not brand new like mine is) then it's possible that what you were saying earlier may be certainly true.

If due to your boards age, it allows Ubuntu to run SATA in IDE mode, then that makes sense.

My board is brand new, and doesn't allow Ubuntu to run SATA in IDE mode.
My old board is 3-4 years old, and allows Ubuntu to run SATA in IDE mode.

Yet XP is an older OS, and due to the (in my opinion) lack of snappy support, it's stuck with IDE mode, whereas my new board, for whatever reason, causes Ubuntu to not like it. *shrug*

I'm installing SP3 and my drivers now. Let's hope this thing works!

Sweet.

I slipstreamed service pack 3, along with the SATA drivers from ASUS's web site.

Doesn't work. ****ing awesome.

EDIT - Let's add to it, shall we?

I found an old floppy disk drive out of an old compaq system I had laying around. I hooked it up to my computer. I put the ONLY SATA drives available on ASUS's web site on the floppy disk.

I booted into the Windows XP install CD and hit F6, as instructed, to install additional SCSI/RAID drivers.

It doesn't see anything on my floppy that's a "driver."

Awesome.

Jayce you said once you installed those drivers it created a folder in teh C:\ drive right? Care to post a screenshot of that folder?

driver1.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

driver2.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

What I did was, I put my actual Windows XP CD in. I went to my computer, right clicked on it, and went to explore. One inside, I right clicked and "select all". Then, I created a folder on my desktop and named it XP Source. I pasted everything in there. Then, I used nLite to target that folder (XP Source). I integrated Service Pack 3, along with the drivers from C:\Program files\Marvell\etc that you can see above.

Those files in Marvell are the only one on ASUS's web site and are listed as "SATA Driver."

Alright now i need you to do this:

Click Tools>Folder Options. Click the View Tab. There select the option to unhide the known file extensions.

This way you can see what the file extensions are for those files.

One of them in that folder is the .inf you need. If it isnt there it would be in the i386 folder.

Also with nlite you can let it copy the XP CD to a folder on your system. I would do this to preserve the booting capabilties. Also which SP3 did you use? The one for IT's that you can download? Also last but not least. Which version of XP is this? Pro or Home.

Aight, I re-traced my process. This is what I did.

I have Windows XP Professional SP2 on CD, and I don't know which SP3 I had before but I just downloaded the SP3 for use with IT Professionals and businesses, or whatever it is.

Firstly, I copied all of the files from my "real" Windows CD to the folder on my desktop known as XP Source.
Step1.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Second, I targeted the XP Source folder on my desktop within nLite.
Step2.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Third, you can see where nLite stands.
Step3.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Fourth, I selected my options accordingly.
Step4.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Fifth, you can notice that my setup has changed to SP3 once I integrated the service pack that I just downloaded.
Step5.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Sixth, time to add the drivers!
Step6.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Seventh, you can see the driver's location on the local drive.
Step7.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Eighth, I make the ISO.
Step8.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Not shown - I use Nero to burn the ISO as an image. As I type this, my new image just hit 99%. I'm going to try it out.

Last time - I integrated drivers for both 32 and 64 bit. This time I only integrated drivers on 32 bit. Let's see what happens.

EDIT - I just booted to my newly made Windows CD.
"Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed on your computer."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom