New to Linux, need some master help

Status
Not open for further replies.
i've tried so many linux distros i lost count, but i always come back to slackware. it's the most stable, most easily customizable, best to learn on, and, since linux is supposed to be a free unix alternative by definition, slackware is the closest by far[linux-wise] you're gonna get to SCO/System V.

i did notice that you're going to be installing on a laptop, and that usually proves o be a little more difficult when it comes to linux. this site always seemed to help me: http://www.linux-laptop.net/. even if you're model isnt on there, something close usually works. good luck.

macdude425 said:
As a start, I would not recommend that.

Why not?

Yes, I will be installing it on a laptop: IBM A31 to be exact. But it is a buisness model, so I imagine it would be on that site. I am going to check it out, thanks.

Thank you everyone, going to get my Linux on! What a geek thing to say... :grind:

If you want to learn Linux it is better to start with Slackware. It is a distro in which nearly everything you do you do through the terminal, by hands. If you targeted to learn you will learn fast. There is another option, try Mandrake, it has good hardware support, easy to install and easy to run, lots of applications as well. You may never need to use the terminal in mandrake, but it is there, thought. So you will learn much slower.
If you have two PCs it is might be better to install Mandrake to the PC with better hardware and Slackware on the older one, Slack will run even on 386 machines. Keep one for the work, and another one for studying. As soon as you start to work on Linux you will feel the test and will never stop using it.
"Most of the major linux distros have been heavily customized, this means what you learn is more likely to be specific to that distro. Slackware is regarded as being the closest to pure linux you can get, what you learn on Slackware can easily be transfered to any distro and even BSD." Quote from Popey
And I totaly agree with this.

ok.. dudes, slackware is NOT for beginners (or faint of hearts..).. it require huge learning curve, for a graphic user interface user (IE. windows), it will kill linux experience extremely fast (i've been there, tried debian as first, biiig mistake.. turned me off linux for about 5 monthes, as i can't get it to install for me, i don't understand half the stuff it's asking..)

for beginners, you want a distro that gives you extremely good hard ware detection (assuming ur using a desktop?? please use one, as laptop isnt' something you can pop in and go kinda thing), you also want something that will install a good windows like GUI right at the beginning, and gives you a good selection of software that will get you up and running immediately upon installation... Slackware (from what i heard, don't kill me for this), isn't really for beginners, it's for linux user who want a true unix experience without going to a unix, it's for linux user who want to customize, who knows enough to get around on text console..

what i would recommend for a good fit between true linux experience (at least without a corporation behind it.. for some reason i hate that, as i believe open source should be prodominately community based..) and a nice interface for beginners, would be ubuntu/kubuntu (it doesn't really matter, it's just a matter of desktop preference, though, kubuntu (kde) will be more like windows)).. i have also used mepis (it's so damn easy to install, you can pop in the cd, boot from cd, open a app, and click 3 buttons, you will be on your way :D), it is also a more debian like OS than ubuntu, as it uses fully debian software tree.. in ubuntu, you have to use debiain package designed for ubuntu, but it has a nice selection :D

now, when you get through that, and wat to experience true linux, you can then have enough knowledge about linux to make an informed choice on which distro (or dump linux and join freebsd community (wat i did))..

again, the above opinion + facts is derived from the extensive time spent in www.linuxquestions.org :D please don't kill me if you don't agree with me fully.. i welcome challenges :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom