New to linux, need help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

underworld288

In Runtime
I am using Ubuntu and I was wondering how to install programs. And, my second question, for now, is how do I get my sound to work?

thanks for the help in advance.

hello

in ubuntu linux, you can install a program simple by executing one a command in the terminal. you may find the terminal in the gnome menus on the top left of your screen, Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal, or you can simply press Alt+F2 and type "gnome-terminal" and press enter

ubuntu linux comes with what's call a package manager. it manages your packages :p

packages are usually programs, but they can be other kinds of software too (like drivers, and multimedia codecs)

lets say you want to install gaim (a multi-protocol instant messaging program)

open a terminal and type this:

sudo apt-get install gaim

press enter and it will ask for your password (it will not show up when you type it. not even asterisks ***)

it will then download and install the gaim package and all other packages necessary for it to run. (these are called dependancies, because gaim depends on other programs to run :) )

you may test it afterwards by pressing Alt+F2 and typing "gaim" and hitting enter

there is an alternative approach to using the apt package manager, and that is to use a program called Synaptic (its basically a graphical front end to apt, this way you dont have to bother with the terminal if you prefer not to. but i must say that using the terminal is far easier to me than clicking the mouse and stuff, but thats just me :D )

this can be found in Desktop -> Administration -> Synaptic Package Manager

i'm not too familiar with it, so hopefully someone else will post instructions on how to use it.

for your sound card, you'll need to install the alsa drivers (most sound cards use this, mine does. )

to do this, go back to that terminal you were just in, and do the following commands:

sudo apt-get install module-assistant
sudo m-a prepare
sudo m-a auto-install alsa

it will probably ask for your password each time. then when it finishes, restart your computer (or just log out and log back in) and hopefully, if everything worked right, your sound will be working :)

i also notice you have an nvidia video card, you may need to install the nvidia drivers as well (as far as i know, ubuntu doesnt install them for you)

if you've already installed module-assistant when you were installing your sound drivers, then you can just do this, otherwise make sure you sudo apt-get install module-assistant first

sudo apt-get install nvidia-kernel-common
sudo m-a prepare
sudo m-a auto-install nvidia

i hope this helps. if you have any problems, post back and we will help you figure them out

when i type sudo apt-get install module-assistant into the terminal it says
E: Couldn't find package module-assistant

ouch. apparently its not in the ubuntu repository. see, i use debian which ubuntu is based off of, they are almost the same but i just found out a new difference :(

someone else will need to help you with this

i figured out most of it general, I had to get/add depositories to my search, thanks for all of the help.
But, I have another question when I install Wine how do I open a .exe file to install a program.

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom