New to Linux, how to start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smagee12

Baseband Member
I am extremely new to the Linux OS.

My school has 116 Sun Ultra 5 workstations running Solaris 8.

In order to write code straight on those machines from home, w/o ssh or termx, what do i need to do?

Can i keep windows as well?

Any directions to resources and references will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone,

sean

Thank you, but i would rather have linux on my computer instead.

I dont want just an emulator. Not only do i want to be able to code better ( with emulators it seems too risky, always losing information and crashing), but i also want to learn more baout linux.

Amd2800 said:
Install wINE ...

its a Windows Emulator for Windows
Since when does Wine run natively in Windows? It's for Linux and it's not stable enough for his purposes.

You can install any distro, or "flavor" of Linux, and during the install, the installer will set up LILO or GRUB, which let you boot Windows and Linux.

I suggest Debian (NOT for beginners), Slackware (only slightly easier), and Mandriva (probably your best option, for the time being)

thank you sir.

i am currently downloading

File: Mandriva-Linux-2005-Limited-Edition-Download-CD1.i586.iso

It states that is all i need to d/l. if this is true, why do they have 2 other disks that are equivolent in size?

Well, if there are any more tips, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks again.

sean

thanks again mac_dude!

one last question b4 i go.

Now, i had a friend get linux on his cpu, i dont remeber what distro.

Now, since the boot sector will be edited (or even completely erased for windows when booting up linux) I foresee problems if anything onn my cpu goes wrong.

Is it better just to buy another HD for linux, or is partitioning safe.

Please inform of all risks involved if you have the time.

Another thank you,
sean

No linux aint installed on ur CPU it installed on ur hard drive the CPU is that thing called a amd athlon whateva

sorry, sometimes people do use cpu as an ambigious term, but maybe here i shouldnt.

cpu = HD (in my post above)

Then can you answer my question?

Also, when burning the IsO to CD, do i want to SAVE THE IMAGE or BURN THE IMAGE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom