New to Linux ... help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey!?

As for Ubuntu?

Why get the Live not the install ..... the install is like an extra 40 meg .... I can D/L it and install it on my other computer!

Auberry,

True, it is A better Idea to get the Full install if you are equiped with Another machine, however I always suggest the Live CD because not All people are equiped with 2 machines, if they do A dual boot full install of say XP and Ubuntu, then they Say "Ubuntu was crap" then they would have to re-partition the machine to uninstall ubuntu, thmat takes time and effort, I dont wish to make enemys here, I like this Forum! whereas if they work off the live CD they can use it, without doing dammage to their machine. If they like It they can install it to their HDD if they don't hey no harm done only 1 20c CD or however much....

I was working on the basis you only had 1 machine, not two, but yes it would be a better Idea to throw A ubuntu fyll install on another machine, that way you get the "full ubuntu Experience"

/rant

Jake

PS. you can get the full install .iso of Ubuntu @ the above link too

I would use Kubuntu. It uses kde which looks good, highly tweakable, integrates nicley, easier to use. Its just a better desktop environment.

You can run some games under linux. I downloaded the Nvida drivers and found a tutorial how to install them for fedora core 4 here: http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_4_installation_notes.html then after that, I installed Wolfenstien Enemy territory, Americas Army, and the Unreal Tournament 2003 Demo with no problem. On the flip side, some game developers don't give the penguin much respect by always waiting to develop games for linux last.

But cirtain games are doable for linux.

Okay cool!

I have FC4 running NOW .... it's quite nice!

Problem is networking it with Windows so I can use the internet on it!

Will I need special Drivers for everything?

Oh yeah I also have Ubunto installing on it too! :)

Fedora Core 4 is really HOT!

I love it!

One thing though ..... networking wont work i'll need drivers

it's a Realtek based one, Semiconducter

I couldn't get the GUI on Ubuntu working ... however I like FC4 a lot and may consider duel booting it on my main comp with XP Pro

For Linux will I need an Anit Virus/Firewall?

When I boot Linux up it takes ages goes though loads of things ... is there a way to reduce this?

from my experience ubuntu works better than FC (3 i think), prob they improved in 4? as far as hardware detection go :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom