New to linux (a few questions)

Status
Not open for further replies.

waynejkruse10

Fully Optimized
ive upgraded from a 10gig hdd to a 120gig hdd so now a dual boot setup between linux and windows could be possible. I want to use red hat 9 and i was wondering:

how big partition should i use (20gig, 30gig, 60gig)

does red hat let me still use winxp on another partition, like a boot manager
thanks wayne

Well, it really depends on which OS you will using the most, If you split the drive in half (2x60GB) you will have more than enough space for your normal day to day use on either OS.

Also, when creating a dualboot system you will want to install windows first, then install RH. During install, RH searches for other partitions/drives for another OS and it can dual boot automatically, saving you many headaches.

i got it working. I used partition magic to split it up into a 105gig and a 15gig partition and installed RHL on the 15 gig. It dual boots well and runs well. Im actually on linux now. It was suprisingly easy to set up internet and printer and stuff. I still think it is a good idea to have a large partition for windows because it still is at this moment my primary os.
thanks.

Congrats!! You are now an official Linux user, don't give up just because you get stuck on an issue, there is always a fix so just hang in there!

dont worry, i reinstalled it, mabye ive been using windows for too long. anyway in my new installation i installed gnome and some other packages.
reinstalling the system mabye isnt the best way to fix something.

but thanks for offering to help

thanks wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom