New to Linux...Which distro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well compatibility wouldn't be an issue because most Linux stuff is compiled from source on your machine anyway.

Hey,

I would reccomend Ubuntu, Kubuntu or Mandrake take your pick All these distros are easy to use, you can Navigate the distros with ease. Hardware detection is great on Mandrake and Kubuntu and these distros are easy to configure.

Jake

Ok I will give those a shot if I can't get fedora c4 working. I have a slight problem with it. I downloaded the x86_64 dvd image of it and it burned to the dvd ok, and it booted the DVD ok, but when it asked where it would be installing the files from, it did not have drivers for my SATA cd drive, so I could not install, but I'm really confused because it was able to boot from the cd drive... Anything I can do and will all linux OS' be the same?

EDIT: GO WITH x86!!!! 32bit is better, 64bit cannot support as many apps! It does not have wine, cdrdao, and many others. Any commercial softwatre WILL NOT work unless it was compiled for 64 bit. Please use x86. x86_64 is not much faster!

I recomend mepis. It is easy to use, fast, and stable.

It uses the best gui imo, kde. It is better than most distros because it uses its own, and debian's huge software repository. It is based on knoppix so it has exelent hardware support, and video drivers are built in. You just select ati or nvidia during installation. Another great feature is that it has a live cd from which you install from. This serves as a great rescue tool. It is a distro that is made for pros and noobs alike. They have a great support forums too.

Good luck with linux,
Sevoma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom