new at linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

allan16

In Runtime
I installed linux on my PC.

when I startup my PC I get to this funny window where it gives the option to select either Linux, something else which I dont remember and Windows.

If I select Linux it takes to a command prompt window where it asks me for the login and pwd.. I type this information and nothing happends

I dont know what to do from there..

Any thoughts ?

Thanks !

what do you mean nothing happens when you type in your user and password?

the password wont show when you type it in by the way, no "*"'s like in other OS's

it should come up with a command prompt with your username and machine name

Does this Mandrake Version of Linux has a graphical Interface, or it's only a command prompt ?

sound like somthing is wrong in grub bootloader (or LILO) but im leaning towards a corrupt file in the installtion, ive had this happen on a suse installtion once, i found out it was a couple of corrupt files,using thier system repair program when you boot from the installtion cd. I am not familiar with mandrake linux so im not sure if they had a program that scans and fixes coruupt files. If that dosent work try reinstalling the whole thing.

This is what I get

MandrakeLinux release 10.1 (official) for i586
kernel 2.6.8.1-12mdk
localhost login:
password:

After I enter this information I get:

[localhost login@localhost localhostlogin]$

and after this I dont know what to do
Does this has some kind of graphical interface,if so , how do I enter it ???

Thanks

From there it's a command OS you can use the different utilities like vi and sed and such :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom