New iPods Block Linux Syncing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
New iPods Block Linux Syncing?

It appears that Linux users were dealt a blow with the new iPod line. The next-gen players have a checksum built in that won't allow them to sync with an Operating System where iTunes doesn't exist.

This is all par for the course, of course. Businesses have taken countermeasures to prevent competitors from interoperating with their products for decades. Apple had to break Microsoft's file-formats to give Numbers, Pages and Keynote the ability to read Office files -- they're enthusiastic participants in "adversarial compatibility."

We also have word that you guys in the EU could expect iPhones on the shelf as early as next week.

Yesterday we were invited to an Apple press conference to take place next Tuesday -- and we think it's most likely going to be the UK iPhone launch. Apple, as always, is keeping tight-lipped but there are several clues that point in the iPhone's direction.

I've heard rumors theirs no Disc Mode now either. This really disappointed me, because I'm saving for a 16gb Touch but I love Winamp syncing my ipod D:

The moral of the story is DON'T get a iPod to begin with.
Would you quit being a jerk talking about how much iPods suck. They maybe overrated but out of all the electronics I deal with I like them because:

Weight
Size (thickness specifically)
Capacity (160gb much?)
Extremely Bright High-Resolution LCD
Interface, Clean + Simple + Easy To Use

Yes I know other players are starting to have all this, but the point is Apple was the first one to make MP3 players worthwhile.

Just because they were the first ones doesn't mean it worths the extra money. In my opinion the Ipods are overpriced, but if you think it's worth to pay a lot more go ahead, it's your money.

Wow! Thanks for warning, so I'm lucky to stay without iPod, just another product to spend the money;) . Yeah, and I got no iTunes to fit Ipod requirments. Just small nice MP3 player is in my pocket this time:) .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom