new computer

Give us a point that Open Office doesn't do what MS Office does. It can do most everything, from my knowledge.

As for gaming, you ever try Wine, playonlinux? Some Windows games can be played on Linux, you know. Just not the way you think in Windows.

Who says different is easy? So you have to do a little more. You'll get more worth out of it when you figure it out. Not just clicking a few things and be done with it.

Linux is great to get into. So you have to work at it. So what? I got headaches all the time with it. But after I figured out a problem, I'm happier.

Publisher.

I think you've mistaken my post for being anti Linux when it is not. Linux is useful but like anything else it has it's limitations so you have to use the right tool for the right job. Sure you can eventually get some games to work on it but that doesn't make it a good choice for gaming since you don't have to jump through any hoops to run those games natively in Windows.

Saying Linux is not for noobs is correct. I'll give you that. But anyone who wants to get into Linux, is going to find a way to do anything. It's second nature to us.

Hopefully ReactOS can change that when it has more backing / support.

Frontpage - ReactOS Website

I used that a good while ago, pretty horrendous though if you ask me. I say it's better to just jump in and use full *nix.

Who says you need Daemon Tools when there is FuriousISO Mount?
You can just directly mount the images by command line :p

Publisher.

I think you've mistaken my post for being anti Linux when it is not. Linux is useful but like anything else it has it's limitations so you have to use the right tool for the right job. Sure you can eventually get some games to work on it but that doesn't make it a good choice for gaming since you don't have to jump through any hoops to run those games natively in Windows.

I would say that Linux is the best tool or that the difference is negligible in upwards of 80% of all cases. I would also say that in many of those cases, Linux is significantly better than the competition.
For avid gamers who spend hundreds or even thousands on high performance PCs, then upwards of £20 per game, it makes a lot of sense to spend the £125 getting the operating system that it was all designed for. For most other people though, £425 (or even £245) is way too much to use MS Publisher, especially if you can only share the results of your work with people who have made a similar investment.

I used that a good while ago, pretty horrendous though if you ask me. I say it's better to just jump in and use full *nix.

I still think it's a sweet concept; basically an open source version of Windows. The more backing it gets, the more developers will work on it, and the better it will be :).

Application support. Linux has a lot going for it but that single factor makes switching to it completely impossible for a lot of people, myself included.

While I acknowledge that there are some specific use cases where Windows is absolutely required, I find an easy 8/10 times, people COULD switch but simply don't. But hey, use what works for you and keep on moving forward. I know there are specific applications out there that may be Windows only that bind people to that platform, but I'm finding a lot of businesses and organizations opening their eyes a little bit to alternatives which allows them to uproot easier and head to alternative operating systems. In many cases, an open source forum community can provide better support than the paid subscription for a proprietary vendor. We witnessed it when we switched from Follett to Koha @ my last job, which saved ~200,000 dollars for the software alone, and the forum support with Koha was exponentially better than the paid support that Follett provided us.

Every scenario is going to be different, so mileage can vary quite a lot to both extremes.

I'm not saying that 100% of the global population is able to switch. Some people can't for various reasons, and I fully understand that. My point is basically that there's more people who CAN switch that... don't.

I still think it's a sweet concept; basically an open source version of Windows. The more backing it gets, the more developers will work on it, and the better it will be :).

Agreed, I thought it was a great idea but I presume they'll get continual harrassment from MS until the point the project is shut down. It just very much reflects the still alpha status (I think I tried it about 3 years ago and it was alpha then). So granted my experience is probably far behind where they are now.

I haven't actually run it; just read some things on it.

Don't see how they could get harassed by MS, seeing as Windows is closed source, and it's not *nix based, so they had to make their own code and such.

I haven't actually run it; just read some things on it.

Don't see how they could get harassed by MS, seeing as Windows is closed source, and it's not *nix based, so they had to make their own code and such.

If it's ever perceived as a significant threat by MS there's plenty they can do, it sounds to all be "cleanroom reverse engineering" which isn't illegal but that doesn't mean Microsoft with all their power can't make it very difficult for them, they pushed out plenty of competitors in the 90s with inventive methods.

Back
Top Bottom