Networking Xp and Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
Here is what I want to do:

My main computer has Windows XP Home. I am planning on buying my daughter a computer w/Win XP, also. I want to convert my old Packard Bell into a Linux box. I want to network these together for internet access via DSL and file sharing betwixt the XP boxes.

Question:

Can it be done? How can it be done?

I know very, very little about Linux (any version). I am just now starting to play a little with Knoppix on a bootable CD, and know zip about the commands and such of Linux (yet).

Thanks

Use the linux box as a router provided it will work with your dsl hardware, it will need an ethernet card for connecting to a hub which the XP machines will also be connected to, and possibly a second network card to connect to the dsl modem, depnds on dsl arrangement.Then enable packet forwarding and net masquerading on the linux box.

The window machines will need the dns #'s and the ip address of the linux box entered in as a gateway.

As far as file sharing tween the XP boxes, thats easy.

Hold on, now. Let me fill you in on the box I'm wanting to use for this.

It is an old Packard Bell Multimedia s606. It has a P2 233Mhz CPU, 32MB RAM, and a 4.3GB HDD. It only has 2 PCI slots (but 3 ISA slots...big whoop...). In short, it is a dinosaur.

Does this fact change the original prognosis, doctors? I mean, I don't even know if the old bucket o' bolts can even handle Linux, or what flavor would run on it (with a noob at the helm, mind you).

And I can't believe I'm probably asking advice from people who are more than likely closer to my daughter's age than mine...but beggers can't be choosy.

Muchas gracias, and hold the jo-lop-pin-oes, Jose...

Im 38 years old, gimme a break, and so far I dont see a problem here, ive got a p100 machine with 16mb ram and a 540mb hard drive running linux.

horndude,

I'm 36, so we fit, eh? Most on here are the same age as my kid, or less.

Thanks for the advice. Now all I need is the cash to get this all moving...

hate to say it, but it seems linux isnt too hip with the younger crowd as of yet, most are gamers using windows around here

I plan on gaming some, as well. But that is why I am wanting to set up my old rig w/Linux.

That, and I am planning on heading back to college this summer (and beyond) to pursue an AAS in Computer Tech. The program includes several certifications along the way. A+, Network +, Security
+, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, along w/a 2 year degree.

Why not just use a broadband router (as opposed to setting the Linux box up as a router). The router will take care of the dsl connection for you and all the computers are just part of the network. Then you can share files through Win XP without problems or any special configuration (just the initial network setup).

I agree with dave... a router is way less of a headache - if it stops working, turn the power and off and on :) I'd still install Linux on the dinosaur and breathe new life into it, only now without the fear of my family killing me when I inevitably break the internet connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom