Need Linux sever recommendation and Q+A

Status
Not open for further replies.

drrocket

Solid State Member
Hi,

Ive had trouble installing Win2003 so i have given up and now im turning to Linux. Couple of questions:

1) whats the best GUI version of Linux server for file share over the network/internet so my freinds can access?
2)You may think this is silly but i am admittedly a noob but viruses? Affected or not?? I so what do i use to prevent infection?
3)Security, what preventions can i take against hacking of the server and my network?
4) I run 2 laptops one xp pro and the other is Vista, will i have a problem intergrating these within the same network and accessing the server?

Thanks in advance

1. There is no best. If you just need something simple, with a good userbase, go with Ubuntu.

2. Linux has very few viruses, and if it's just a server, then the chances of being infected are 0 to none. If you are still worried, then just use ClamAV.

3. I could go on talking about this forever, and it wouldn't make any sense to you. Go buy Hacked Exposed Linux. Also, you might want to get a few other books on linux as well.

4. This is where Samba comes in.

I don't think you know what you're getting into, and setting something up like this is no easy thing, especially when you are unfamiliar with linux. Sure, you could follow an easy guide to get it working, but if something went wrong or there's a problem, you'd be completely stuck.

So get a few Linux books out of the library or buy them or something, and start studying.

Thanks, Im not a complete noob, i have networking skills (I have Cisco CCNA and im studying CCNP) just new to Linux. Thanks again.......whats Samba? is it included in Ubuntu?

Arrghhhhh i just installe Ubuntu and choose Samba and it installed a command line version. I wanted a GUI to start, do i just reinstall?

Arrghhhhh i just installe Ubuntu and choose Samba and it installed a command line version. I wanted a GUI to start, do i just reinstall?

you want a GUI for samba? what the heck for? its just a fileserver, that's all it is, it is literally setup and forget about it

the configure file is usually in /etc/samba, edit it with a text editor and then restart samba, usually an example samba config file is included, just uncomment the lines you need and read the comments in the file, its pretty self explanatory

I have to wonder what are the drawbacks to using ubuntu as a server with respect to the daemons being run by sudo? is it possible to put the server in a chroot jail?

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

that command will install the GUI onto the server.

Then just type reboot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom