Need A Good Live CD Distro

Status
Not open for further replies.

aetherh4cker

Corrupt Techie
I need a Linux CD to log into a PC that won't boot correctly (I accidentally damaged some system files).

I was just about to go download the generic Ubuntu install disc which has the option to 'try it out' directly from the CD when I figured I'd ask to get something that has more use than that.

I guess I'm looking for a Linux Live CD that is (more or less) designed to be a Live CD and plan it's included applications accordingly, rather than just be a demo of a standard desktop.

I'm looking for something that includes tools such as Aircrack, nmap, John, etc. Any tools to recover deleted files would be nice. Really want something with just lots of general utilities.

I look forward to hearing your opinions!

Hmm...I use Ubuntu for both LiveCD and Desktop (installed) purposes. Ubuntu's LiveCD is good as a system management/recovery utility disk (has file browser with NTFS/FAT32/ext3fs support, GParted partition editor, text editor, etc). As for more specialized apps like Aircrack, you can install them from the Internet to RAM...or you may be able to customize a LiveCD with them.

You could also check out Knoppix, it's designed as a LiveCD only distro, but I haven't used it before. DSL Linux is also pretty good as a minimal LiveCD (runs on even my old Pentium 133 PC) using an older X.org server and a lightweight window manager (fluxbox). It doesn't have a very good file browser though.

I would say Ubuntu isn't necessarily to "just try it out" as the LiveCD has almost all the features of the fully installed system, just some of your desired applications don't come with it. However, Ubuntu's popularity means that there may be an unofficial LiveCD build already out there with apps you desire on it.

aetherh4cker

You can fix a Vista and XP boot easily.

I woudl say Ubuntu for the answer though. I find them real easy to use. I haev Kubuntu 8.04 and i still dont find that as easy to use as Ubuntu.

Anyone for file recovery using a live Linux distro. Some years back Knoppix was an answer for that. Computer First Aid Using Knoppix

Knoppix faded away over the last few years seeing ubuntu, Gentoo, Mephis, and a few others able to see onto MS partitions. The ubuntu live latest 8.04 replacing the 7.10 will perform well. You just have to get used to the new logo now seen on the desktop of 8.04 release over the plain gold color with the 7.10.

Here's how ubuntu was able to see onto a usb external drive to copy files onto an internal sata model all with NTFS partitions on them.

I was trying to get a latest version some time back and got nowhere when looking for a live iso image and proceeded with ubuntu. I had Gentoo and Mephis live as well while the old disks can no longer be read on since the old buld was where those were burned.

I remember the older releases of Knoppix however finding those even easier then ubuntu to work with. But they have a tendency to lack on desktop options and other features just like you would see when comparing other distros.

I see they are upto 4.6.1 with Zenwallk already at the LQ download pages there.

There are ways to customize Ubuntu Live-CD's and add the programs you want to it. You can use this to add WiFi drivers and firmware as well as other networking applications so that your CD can get Internet access out-of-the-box. With Internet access, Ubuntu's Live-CD can work much like an installed copy (you can use apt-gert or Synaptic Package Manager to install other applications to your Live-CD system from the Internet.

Cool. I did not know that info. Will have to find info on how to do all that. :)

Just do a Google search for "customize Ubuntu Live-CD" andyou should find some articles telling you how to build a customized ISO image by adding stuff to the original one. I haven't tried this, but I did read that it can be done and read how to do it.

For any modifications seeing additional items added in you will need an iso editing tool in order to open up the iso image since that is all compressed data there. You can find a few free ones by a quick seach. The first one I come across all the time is the Magic ISO Maker seen at Using MagicISO as ISO Editor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom