A Myriad of Linux Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
it may be conflicting with arts under KDE too, try turning arts off or changing its settings and see what happens

Ya, arts has issues, basically it hijacks alsa, which is fine except anything else trying to use the sound device gets stopped by arts, and xmms doesnt have an option for compiling it with arts compatibility I think, have to check that to be sure.

the other thing is techinically OSS or esound should allow xmms to work with arts under KDE but for the life of me Ive never been able to figure out why it doesnt even though arts is supposedly able to use all the different sound daemons, ive tried them all, never had a system yet where they ALL would work with KDE

turning off arts should allow multiple sound streams to run at the same time though, so you can literally mix two or more streams and play them at the same time over your speakers

oh ya, if you havent tackled the xine problem yet, check /etc/fstab and see what formats the dvd drive is set to read, should be "auto" or "udf,iso9660".......if its just iso9660 it wont read the dvd

there's quite a few other things to check here too, if it plays with another media player its a xine config issue more than likely, xine has a boatload of options

Aliasing the drive didn't help any, but changing the format in fstab did...sort of. Now, when I pop in a DVD, I cannot get any further than the FBI warning. I'm in OS X right now, so I can't display the error message, but I'll get it posted ASAP.

check read permissions on the drive, fstab should have "users" in the second to last field

also check to see if you have libdvdread and libdvdcss installed

and, it might just be a dvd the drive doesnt want to read, I occasionally get a disc that my drive wont read, usually from the library

if you have mplayer installed it makes it a little easier to diagnose this, it has alot more output for debugging, not sure if xine has a log file or not

lastly, if xine will read it when run as root, its definitely a permissions problem, way to fix that is either make sure the drive is usable by all users, OR the quick and dirty way would be make xine run as setuid root with chmod u+s /usr/local/bin/xine

im guessing you might not have libdvdcss installed AND a possible permissions issue, libdvdcss is the free unencryption library to decrypt copyrighted dvd's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom