My Own "Server" for my home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron_B

Baseband Member
I'm fairly new with Linux, and Servers. Have taken a few classes for each.

I have an extra computer laying around, and I wanted to turn it into a server for my house. I definitely want to run a Teamspeak Server off of it for me and my friends to use.

Any suggestions or comments will help me at this point! lol

I put the latest ubuntu on it, and turned it into a GUI, using suse command. Now I am looking at a gui desktop, which is fine, but I have no idea what to do after that. Can anyone help with any of this?

You mean you tried Ubuntu Server edition? You can use Ubuntu Desktop, that uses Gnome. I use it myself on my server. I know several others that use it as well. It's a very simple procedure. Anything you need, is easy to retrieve.

Using Ubuntu Desktop as a server isn't anything to sneeze at. It's not like running XP as a server or anything like that. Anything Ubuntu Server can do, Ubuntu Desktop can do as well. It's just you might have to install certain packages to make it act the way you would like. I run several Ubuntu Desktop Edition servers without any fuss.

I used Ubuntu Server, and turned it into a GUI. Just seriously have no idea what I am doing. And don't know where to begin.

Use Ubuntu desktop. It is rather simple. Other than teamspeak, what are you doing with it? If you want to share files over the network, definitely get Samba.

Would like to share files, definitely host a TS server, ability to have one printer linked to the whole network, and other than that, I haven't a clue but I want to learn.. (Yes I know i can use a workgroup since I have only 8 Computers in the house, but then I learn nothing)

Ubuntu Desktop - the latest one or an older version..or does that not matter?

Either, actually. I personally use the latest version, but that is self preference. They both will provide the latest software.

Sounds good, I will post back with where I am at when I get home, still in class, addicted this to forum so much I am on during "Lab" time. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom