multiple monitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

fitzjj

Daemon Poster
I have just installed suse 10.0... my god it's lovely, although there is one thing that i can't figure and that is how to set up multiple monitors.

I have an Ati radeon 9800, both monitors are plugged in. One works fine, the other displays the same as the primary monitor except it appears much larger than it does on the first one and so scrolls around the screen since it cannot fit the whole desktop on it.

I can't for the life of me find a setting for multiple monitors anywhere. I aprechiate that you guys are probably running different distros to me but how do you go about it in the one you are using?

btw, im using KDE 3.4

thanks

you have to edit the xorg.conf file by hand

goto http://www.tldp.org and look up multiple monitors or dual monitors, they will have a tutorial for it im sure

basically you have to add the extra lines for the new hardware similar to the one thats already there, plus a couple options dealing with position---right,left, center(if youve got 3)

better have a look at the X man pages too, this gets a little complicated to setup, its not real hard, but you will need to know what to put in the xorg.conf file, its well commented so that helps

I think you have to change the display environment variable(s) too, not sure on that, cant remember if its gonna treat them as separate displays or independent, I think that is one of the options in X.

I downloaded the ATI driver for the graphics card because there was currently no 3d support and this let me use the two monitors. runnin fglconfig let me play around with some more advanced settings but seems to screw up so that SaX2 doesn't work and basically i get a dead xorg.conf file. But cheers horndude at least i'm looking in the right area now. i guess it'll just take a bit of playing arouun until it is all good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom