Mp3 Players + Suse 9.3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murdoc

In Runtime
Hello,

I've been fiddling around with Suse 9.3 now and I've gotten to a point where I'm comfortable in starting to use it more and getting the hang of this OS. However, when I decided I wanted to relax and play some music, I've had difficulties. All the players provided by the installer did NOT play Mp3 and wma files except for RealPlayer 10 for linux. You migth say "well, you've got 1 player, so why post?" The reason is because it can only play 1 song at a time and it doesn't auto repeat. I had to press play everytime the song finishes and I've checked preferences already. = / this is really some annoying work compared to what Windows has to offer (Eg: Winamp, Windows Media Player, and even the realplayer on windows). Can someone please advise me to an mp3 players with the following things? 1) Compact design (I don't want a player that will take up my entire screen) 2)Plays Mp3, Wma files (the standard music files you would play on windows) 3)Has repeat function.

Thanks!

xmms will do anything but the wma files

isnt hard to use something like mplayer though to convert the wma's to mp3's, its been used to convert Itunes AAC files to mp3's-------there's a script for this @linuxquestions.org

you should have sox installed, its does quite a few conversions

this is one of those issues that few find out about till faced with it, once you start using linux you will find out about lots of proprietary file formats that both windows and apple stick their users with, its pretty stupid really

on the good side though, once the codec pack from the mplayer site is installed, mplayer WILL play **** near anything, unlike what apple and windows offer their users, both windows media player and apple's quicktime hamstring their users bigtime

if you need to convert the files, let me know, I will write and post an easy to use script you can use

i had failed to get xmms to actually play anything under suse10. mplayer was fine - and plays wma no problem but installing it killed several other media players and i can no longer play audio cd's.

have you tried amarok - its part of KDE if you are using it. I'd recommend converting all wma to mp3. it's what i am about to do but it'll be a bit of a chore with 20gig of music.

however i have yet to find a media player in linux as good as a poor windows based media player

fitzjj said:
i had failed to get xmms to actually play anything under suse10. mplayer was fine - and plays wma no problem but installing it killed several other media players and i can no longer play audio cd's.

have you tried amarok - its part of KDE if you are using it. I'd recommend converting all wma to mp3. it's what i am about to do but it'll be a bit of a chore with 20gig of music.

however i have yet to find a media player in linux as good as a poor windows based media player

I can't get it to play... = / I added the media files and when I right click the file on my play list and select play, nothing happens =S why?!

horndude said:
xmms will do anything but the wma files

isnt hard to use something like mplayer though to convert the wma's to mp3's, its been used to convert Itunes AAC files to mp3's-------there's a script for this @linuxquestions.org

you should have sox installed, its does quite a few conversions

this is one of those issues that few find out about till faced with it, once you start using linux you will find out about lots of proprietary file formats that both windows and apple stick their users with, its pretty stupid really

on the good side though, once the codec pack from the mplayer site is installed, mplayer WILL play **** near anything, unlike what apple and windows offer their users, both windows media player and apple's quicktime hamstring their users bigtime

if you need to convert the files, let me know, I will write and post an easy to use script you can use

The problem is, when I added an mp3 file, it won't even play it -_-".... Please send me the script to convert files...
I have another question... If I am loading the media files (mp3 files) from my backup drive which is windows formatted (I can see it with linux), will it work? or does the file have to be in linux's folders for it to work?

macdude425 said:
You should be able to read it. Stupid question, but is ALSA configured?

well, I would like to believe so because I can play music with realplayer... just that with any other programs the mp3 files rather 1) Do not add onto playlist at all 2) shows and error showing no codecs to play file format 3) Adds to play list but does not play.

mpeg libraries installed?

Suse doesnt come with much, doesnt even come with a compiler installed, Fedora is more or less the same way.

probably need libmpeg or something like that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom