Moved entire filesystem. HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lbduballstrs

Baseband Member
Yeah so I'm pretty new at Linux and have been messing around with some things and I was trying to move all the contents from a folder to another folder and well, I accidentally did a: mv /* to a folder so now everything is jacked up. Are there any Linux File management boot cd's or anything so I can put it back to how it was before?

But mv /* would only move files in /, and there aren't any worth while files just hanging around in root. :confused:

Did you do mv -R / or something?

Sorry. :eek:

That's the thing about the terminal, it doesn't give you an idiot check. "Are you sure you want to do this, you're gonna **** your system up!" Just like if you delete a file from the GUI, it'll warn you and it warns you again if you're going to clear the trash. A simple move command as root will mess your system up easily. Delete a file or folder won't go to the trash.

I've done it before and pretty much **** my system up in the past, so you learn the hard way. :D

I did it accidentally because I'm pretty new at Linux. I thought the command would move everything in the folder I was currently in. At lest I got it back though. I got to say I'm starting to like Linux. If something like this would have happened on a Windows box I probably would have been totally screwed. I do need to be more careful on the terminal though haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom