Motherboard Drivers For Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.
horndude said:
it isnt hard, I can walk you thru if needed, although if I do that it will be the old fashioned way, I dont use GUI's for that kind of thing

biggest problem your goin to run into is that it ISNT windows, your going to have to learn everything all over again more or less

If it's OK with you, I'd like you to walk me through that as I've just installed Mandrake 10.0 :)

-Dan The Man

are you in X yet?(graphic user interface), or command line(terminal screen with prompt)?

if youve got a GUI in front of you start looking in the menu, I believe Mandrake has graphic setup aids to do all this.You may have to log in as root or it might let you sudo to it within the GUI, KDE GUI will for sure, it will ask you for it for system changes.

X not working yet:
get it working, find your video card chipset, then while logged in as root type xorgconfig, or xf86config and follow the prompts, if youve got an nvidia or ati card select a generic driver and then get one later when on the net.after that type startx and start looking for a menu.

oh ya, if your in command line(x isnt working) not sure about a command typing the first few letters then tab key will complete it for you or list the possibilities, for example xorgconfig might not be exactly that, typing xorg<tabkey> witll spit out what your looking for if it exists.

what kind of connection, cable?if so, dhcp or static ip?
Dial up?, is modem linux compatitble?

I'm in the GUI as we speak and I am on a high speed cable connection. That's all I could really get out of everything you just said :)

-Dan The Man

ok, well lower left hand corner, click that (just like in winblows) and start looking for system configuration tools, there will be one for networking

cable internet, you will need to know are you using a usb modem or ethernet, and if its ethernet does it use a static IP or DHCP, where your isp assigns you an IP

these same questions will probably be present in the networking GUI window in mandrake, it will also want the DNS numbers for your connection at your ISP

ve never used mandrake but I do know you can do all this graphically

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom