Most suitable Linux Distribution

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABCD

Beta member
Hi,

I have been a long time user of Windows and want to try out Linux to see what the hype's about. I've got an old computer (Pentium 2, 128MB RAM and a 4MB Video card). And the hard drive's only 10GB.

I currently have Windows 2000 installed on the hard drive. I want to keep this and partition the hard drive so I can install Linux along with Windows 2000.

Can people please make some reccomendations on which Linux distribution would be the best. I prefer a stable operating system with good compatibality with software and especially hardware(almost all hardware in the computer's at least 5 years old).

If you post a recommendation could you please let me know the goods and the bads about the distribution?

Thanks to anyone who helps.

The computer is still pretty good. If it was very old (Pentium 1 and below, 32MB RAM, 2GB HD), you would want to try DSL (**** Small Linux).

The easiest and most popular Linux release is Ubuntu. I recommend it.

http://www.ubuntu.com/

xubuntu will be reasonably quick as xfce is much more lightweight than kde or gnome.

That'd be my choice (and is my frontend of choice on a debian build with similar hardware)

For the record I tryed xubuntu on a p3 750 with 64 mb's of ram and it is almost totally unusable. I tryed the same hardware with dsl-n and it is MUCH faster and is really usable. I even installed xp on the same machine and it is more usable then Xubuntu is. But holly cow what a difference just 128mb's of ram is running X is sweet, and pretty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom