More Chrome OS info

Status
Not open for further replies.
Google Chrome OS: First looks, first impressions

The very early stages of the REAL Google Chrome operating system has been released (and done so fully open sourced). It's not an operating system you can (and should) be putting on a stand alone machine. Actually what has been released are VirtualBox and VMware images that can be booted in their respective virtual machines.
Martin has posted his concerns about Chrome OS in his insightful “Google Chrome OS: My concerns“. I am in full accord with Martins' take on cloud computing. But instead of discussing my feelings on the cloud or why we need another OS, I thought it would be beneficial to take a look at a running instance of the Google Chrome OS. I will preface this by saying the OS is in the very early stages of development
. But even with the early stages it is quite obvious where this fledgling operating system is heading.

I don't see chrome os being too practical for people who want to be productive everywhere they want to go. Since all your files are stored online if you don't have 3g or are nowhere near a wifi hotspot the whole computer would be useless with no access to any of your files or programs. It would basically be like booting up only to get a message like operating system cannot be displayed.

Another thing is that internet speeds aren't fast enough to have everything only online. This concept would be practical once internet is fast like upwards of <10mb/s everywhere wirelessly and free.

If you had a wireless data plan which had a chrome os based netbook bundled with it you would have to pay a fortune because of having to access files online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom