mobo recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

little a

In Runtime
hi all

i'm looking forward to custom building a box to run linux (debian) on for everyday tasks and XP for specific work-related duties (i.e. photo and video editing). the advantage of building it myself is that i can get a little more power for my money. i am a bit nervous about buying components which will not be trouble when i run linux, specially because i don't know much about linux and desktops.

anyhow, i was hoping to get recommendations from you all about those components that may be troubling when it comes to dual booting, esp. a motherboard/chipset combination that would allow me to get the most forward reaching technology (i.e. the mobo with the most future) - what socket-type gives me the most future for my cash. the idea is spend the most on the mobo and run it (for now) with a very affordable chipset until i can get something more powerful later.

i'd appreciate any help in steering away from potentially problematic parts. i basically want everything to be plug and play from the get go. thanks in advance

Just about any motherboard is going to run in Linux. As long as you have a recent release of your distro you should be able to run. I have yet to meet a bleeding edge board that can't run Linux in one form or another.

If you are also wondering about video cards, sound cards etc, Nvidia writes their own Linux drivers so Nvidia cards have great support and use all the nice little features they have. I'm not saying ATI's do not work, but last time I checked people had more trouble with them than Nvidia. I only buy Sound Blaster cards and have never had a problem with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom