Mandriva Fails at startup after fresh install

Status
Not open for further replies.

mack

In Runtime
Hello :)

First off, I am not an advanced Linux user at all. I know the basics, to get around, install basics.. but I am no where near advanced.

My system specs:
Windows XP PRO
250 GB HDD
AMD X2 4400+
2GB Ram
7900GTX
ASUS A8N32
17" LCD

I installed Mandriva (2006 free?) as a secondary partition (30GB it uses) next to Windows XP Pro.

The install was fine, I did all the tests (video test, res test, etc) and it was fine.

When Mandriva starts to boot up, I can see the desktop but the screen keeps flickering off and on non-stop (my monitor light goes black, orange, green, non stop). I've left it on for a few hours thinking mandriva was configuring itself, but it just kept doing it.

Any clue what's causing this?

Mandriva is weird like that,

it is recource Hungry and slow,you'd probably be off trying another monitor or switching Distros, if you want to go down the Mandriva route try PCLinuxOS it is a one CD install and is WAY supior to mandriva in every way it configures and detcts H/W automatically it is what I use and Reccomend

http://www.pclinuxos.com/page.php?7

or there is Always the Linux distro Chooser

http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/

hope this Helps,

Jake

I had Mandriva/drake/whatever running on a webserver for a while. It took me several tries to get it install properly. (Running back almost 2 years as I took my sweet time getting that up and running)

Once up its a pain because there are 3 different apps to Install, Update and Remove software. And if you're running it on a mid->low end machine it can take a while if you hit the wrong one.

I've since upgraded the PC and moved over the Ubuntu. Much easier for the most part.

The main knock against Ubuntu is it takes a little more work to get the Webserver running. (There's a specific install for a LAMP stack) And if you "break" it, you'll be digging to find the Ubuntu-specific config files.

However, once you've run through that all for the first time, you are that much wiser and have a (IMHO) more efficiently running server.

And there is very good documentation for Ubuntu out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom