Mandrake 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMajor

PowerQuest / Opera
Hi folks,

I am downloading Mandrake 10 (3discs)

Does anybody use it? What are your experiences?

Also, can I install them from my HD like this:
-Extract ISO's to a different partition
-Boot using linux bootfloppy/or something similar ( i have a suse 7.0 pro bootfloppy)
- install from HD someway?

I do not want to waste discs.
But if that's not possible, do I jsut burn them using Nero>burn image? without "make bootable" right?

Thanks for your input

--TheMajor

best way is to just burn the discs, no they dont have to be "bootable", the first one will be bootable by default

installing from a hard drive aint for rookies

Ive tried Mandrake, I will stay with slackware, but Mandrake is good for newbies, its very windows like

Thanks!

I will burn them, its always good to have them on disc.
I will try other distro's later. But I try this cause I used v9 before and liked it. I couldn't find SUSE Pro, only some Enterprise edition downloading at 1KB/s from bittorrent.

Ive seen it and it looks pretty, one of my friends say thats all it has to offer, but I would think linux is linux really.

Ya all linux distros underneath are essentially the same, some place the init scripts in different places and formats but other than that they are the same from an architecture standpoint.The kind and type of package management varies, some use binaries precompiled to work and install scripts and package management to handle installing/uninstalling software.

My gripes at a few like SuSe for example is they dont install everything you need from the get go, like a compiler........thats kinda silly.Many of the point and click install distros also run into issues when the newbie users cant get something to work cause the install GUI dosent know what to do with it.Then you have to do things the old fashioned way and that takes time to learn how to do.

The biggest problem linux has is most are migrating from windows, linux isnt windows, not even close, there's a whole new vocabulary to learn and way of doing things.

OS X has done a vary good job at hiding the power and intracacies of a multiuser system from the user, linux hasnt, and probably wont.One things for sure, if your afraid to open a book and do some reading or poke around the system docs that come with linux then stay away from linux, you wont have much fun.

I think it uses grub, and ya it should leave XP alone and give you a choice at boot of which OS to use.

Cool. I have to alot of stuff.

I think I will copy my data to a 40GB. Re-install XP on a small 6GB partition primary+active, then install Mandrake.

Mandrake uses 3 partitions right? boot|swap|data?

I think it should work with my drive partitioned like this:

xp|empty/unallocated

then use Mandrake installer to partition the unallocated space.

should work, not sure what partition setup Mandrake uses, it probably has choice to let it do what it wants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom