Making a change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jayce:1972194 said:
KSoD - Yeah... that seems a little screwy. It's really hard to pinpoint it because of all of the shuffling that happened. I wonder if the computer is just as confused as we were! :p At any rate, as long as it predictably comes up with the proper drive assignments from here on out (via GParted, etc) it may be one of those situations to choke up as "Hey, it works, back away slowly." :p

That is what I am thinking. Don't question how or why. It is working now and be happy for that. I have backed away slowly without saying a word. I hope I don't jinx it. :p

Well after all is said and done I now have Ubuntu setup and working how I want. I managed to use Google to figure out how to relabel all of my drives to use simple names instead of UUID. While UUID is great, it is problematic for me cause I don't know what drive it was referring to. So now using simple names I know and it has made life much easier for me.

I have also found out how to remap the folders so that when I open Documents from my Home Folder, it goes to the Documents partition. Same for my Pictures and Music as well. So that saves me a lot of time from having to make sure I have all of those things backed up on my data drive since they will not be linked directly to my /home partition anymore and will all go to that respective partition.

I did have a post in here asking how to do it, but I think I have bothered you enough Jayce. :lol:

Okay Jayce a couple last thoughts and I will leave you alone for a little while and get lost in the world of Google.

Hahah, no worries!

1. Anyway to re-label a partition? You have seen how all my newly formatted EXT4 partitions all go by the UUID. while that is great as there cant be any confusion, I honestly prefer simple names to UUID and would like to rename the partitions to Pics/Docs/Music and so forth for what I have stored on them. To make life easier on myself.

1a. If not possible to just relabel them, I will just transfer the data to the 1TB drive and reformat. No big deal. Just hoping for an easier solution.

You can re-label them with either GParted or Disk Utility. GParted is that program I use when I really need to get into the nitty gritty of partitioning or setting up disks. For everything else, Disk Utility does a great job. I see your edit indicating you figured it out, but just keep Disk Utility in mind. I often check Disk Utility just to see how things are doing. I particularly like the SMART data reporting in there.

2. After I do the above, is there anyway to re-mount the /home/pictures folder to said drive? I know that you said it could be done during the install process. I just would not check the format option and the information would be there but I could use the mount point of /home for a drive again so when I reinstalled it would only redo the / partition. So I am wondering if it is possible to remount the personal folders to new locations to reflect where I have that data already stored to save myself hassle.

Pretty much building on what you said previously that you could have 20 partitions on all the drives and no one would know cause you would just mount a different aspect to each drive. Can this possibly be done after the install?

If not that might be the main reason why I have another shot at a reinstall of Ubuntu. So I can remap these things with ease and save myself a ton of time and trouble from having to keep backups in different places. This would allow me to create just 1 backup drive for all of my stuff instead of having it all split up like I have been doing with Windows for all these years.

Well, I suppose you could. You see, doing it during the installation process makes it easier, sure, but it's certainly not impossible to flip things around after the fact - it's you have to edit /etc/fstab somehow, whether manually or the storage management GUI you came across. Maybe somebody else can jump in, but IN THEORY, you should be able to mount a specific hard drive/partition to /home/joker/Pictures just fine. After all, what's the difference between /home/joker and /home/joker/Pictures? I see no difference there. The drive/partition has its own UUID, so it should be mountable. I would have to *assume* it might look something like:

UUID=100100100100100 /home/joker EXT4 defaults 0 2
UUID=200200200200200 /home/joker/Music EXT4 defaults 0 2
UUID=300300300300300 /home/joker/Pictures EXT4 defaults 0 2

That's just me assuming, but I really don't see anything wrong with that. I hate messing with mount points with sensitive data though, so at least keep in the back of your mind what you're doing so you can reverse it in case an issue comes up. The only reason I say that is let's say /home/joker/Pictures exists with 100 pictures, but you mount drive B as /home/joker/Pictures. Where do those 100 originals go when you mount your Pictures folder on top of it? I personally don't know... this calls for a little experiment... I'm just trying to play it super safe because I don't want to give out advice that backfires.

*Edit*

Well I figured out how to rename the partitions so that they now use name labels instead of UUID. So that is a plus for me. Makes life much more simple for me on that end. Now I just have to figure out how to mount those folders to those locations to save myself even more time.

Just to recap, what are you doing exactly that you want the drive labels over UUID? You WANT the UUID for /etc/fstab. There's nothing better and more pinpointed than the UUID's being listed in /etc/fstab when firing the system up. Now, let's say you're talking about your misc drives that aren't in /etc/fstab and you want them to have names, oh yes, drive labels will rock your world there.

I just want to make sure the fundamental differences of UUID and drive labels are understood. Drive labels are only for the user, but do little/nothing for the system. UUID differentiation is heavenly when it comes to the system knowing what's what, where, why, how, etc.

Hope this helps!

I know that I want UUID for fstab. But I am not forcing these drives to be mounted at boot. I will mount them myself upon every restart. Which are few and far between. I do know that much. ;)

It is just that names are so much easier for me than UUID. I have for the most part figure it out and am about to restart to test and make sure everything is how I want it.

Yeah, I hear you there. Just wanted to make sure the differences were understood! The thing I like about having drive labels set up is they mount by that name accordingly... Makes it super nice for the zillion flash drives I have. For example, I have a MultibootISO flash drive that has about 10 ISOs I can choose from, so naturally that one is called Multiboot. Regular flash drives are called Storage, etc. That way, despite them all looking similar and sometimes identical, they're easy to identify what's what when they're plugged in. I'm sure as you read this you're nodding your head saying "yep, yep, and yep, that's what I'm after." Eh? :p

EDIT - Users in the Ubuntu and Linux IRC channel are citing that the system should make the original files turn invisible until the drive is unmounted. AKA, you have 100 pictures in your "Pictures" folder. You edit fstab to mount UUID=100100100100 as /home/joker/Pictures. Those 100 pictures are said to turn invisible, but once 100100100100 is unmounted, they'd be visible. I'm going to do some more reading to confirm this, but so far, it's checked out pretty accurate from what I've read.

Pretty much Jayce. I mean looking at an old picture I posted:

dr8sid.jpg

You can see when I opened Nautilus that my drives were using the UUID but there was no way for me to know exactly which of the 63GB Filesystem Drives I was going to explore until I clicked on it. 99% of the time, I opened the wrong one and ended up having to switch to the other one. Now with the new setup:

35mmyz4.jpg

Everything has a name and I know what I am looking for and doing. I have everything sorted out properly the way I know how to operate and it makes my life so much easier within Ubuntu this way than playing guessing games.

My test is as I thought it would be. Upon restart when I clicked on something within the Home Folder it gave me an error saying that the drive could not be found. But as soon as I mounted it manually, it worked as expected. Yeah it is a bit more of a hassle in that aspect, cause I am not auto mounting them via fstab, but honestly I can work with it this way. At least I know.

The last thing I honestly want to know, how in the world can I get Ubuntu to remember the size and location of the windows I open? I mean when I click on the Home folder it always opens in the top left corner of the screen. I prefer it in the middle. If it cant be done, so be it. Some windows open where I last had them. It is just the main one that gets to me. :lol:

Hmm, I'm not too sure. I haven't really noticed where windows open up. The one thing I always utilize, especially being a very keyboard-centric user, is if you hold ALT and click/hold anywhere on a window, you can move it, which kind of spoils me for quick maneuvering of windows. Because of that it hasn't really occurred to me where specific windows open.

Like I said no big deal. I can live with it. :lol: Just wondering cause I had my Windows setup the way I liked and was hoping to get Ubuntu to do the same. But I can live with how it operates and work around it.

Like I said no big deal. I can live with it. :lol: Just wondering cause I had my Windows setup the way I liked and was hoping to get Ubuntu to do the same. But I can live with how it operates and work around it.

Well, the complexity of your drive assignments isn't something that would be easily adaptable in other OS's over night. It took me several pages to even understand what you were doing. That said, I still think there's room for improvement since you COULD automount everything and it just work. Then there would be no need for "working around it". ;)

Ubuntu do the same as Windows? What were you thinking, man?! :p

I LOL'd. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom