Making a change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now let me ask this. I have started to switch over my hard drives to EXT4. But now I am noticing that I am unable to use them after formatting them to EXT4. I see the drive, it says filesystem and the amount of space. Such as filesystem 125GB. But once I mount the drive, it shows a lost and found folder. I am unable to create any folders on the drive or to paste anything to the drive.

Any reasoning behind this?

I think it always does that. I see it all the time when I format to EX4. It's like a recycle bin or something.

If that is the case, then how would anyone use more than 1 hard drive after setup of a Linux system? That doesn't make any sense that they could only have hard drives during the setup of the Linux OS but never anytime after. Which I know cant be the case. So there has to be something that is going on that isnt allowing my system to use the drives properly. I dont honestly think that the open source community would leave it this way and have Windows operate in a better fashion than them.

You probably don't have permission to the drive. Check properties and see. Windows let's everything wide open for everyone to see. Linux allows permissions on the actual drive. Handling "better" is a matter of opinion in regard to how open/unsecure or controlled/semi less convenient you perceive it as. Lost and found is normally a default folder on most volumes.

It says the permissions are set for root. It proceeds to then say that I am not the owner and I cant change them. Now how do I set myself up as this stuff like you mentioned above? My user account name is Joker, not sure what I set the PC name as though. I tried just joker:joker in the command but it said no such user existed.

sudo chown -R joker:joker /usr/share/themes && sudo chmod -R joker:joker /usr/share/icons

This command returns the error "chown: invalid user". If I can get this figured out then that will solve the issue on why I cant use my drives that I have just created.

Chmod is for permissions, chown for owner and group. Sudo chmod -R 777 /media/storage would be more like it. You could also hit up alt + f2 and rub gksudo nautilus and do it GUI way. Try both so you can be familiar with both ways. Just don't use that for anything more than permission and owner changes as everything is ran as root. I can offer more insight later when I'm not on my phone. :)

Just to recap since I'm currently blessed with a full laptop keyboard, chmod is for permissions whereas chown is for owner/group. joker:joker = owner:group. chgrp also exists for just changing the group and not the other.

sudo chmod -R 777 /media/storage would grant full blown, wide open, "Windows style" access to the drive.

sudo chown -R joker:joker /media/storage would grant joker the owner + group rights to /media/storage and thanks to -R, everything beneath it.

When assigning owner:group, keep a few things in mind. For my network drive when I lived at home, I had set jason: public (space added to avoid smiley face) as the owner of the drive. Then I added all of the family members to the "public" group. Then I granted 770 permissions to the /media/storage folder, which allowed jason + public's members to the drive, but nobody else. It's probably borderline overkill since we're talking a local LAN, but it's nice being able to enhance security a bit, given the opportunity.

Each time you create a user, a group under the same username gets created as well. That's where joker:joker comes in, owner:group.

Well it seems like I will also be switching to Linux for my main stuff.

The game I play the most has a huge amount of documentation in the forums on how to make it work in Linux and will be experimenting with Steam, should they not work for some odd reason (especially the Steam games) I will just stop playing them.

My server was not working well on Windows Server or anything like that, so it is time to bring it back to Linux.

Everything, except my MacBook and my girlfriend's PC will be on Linux at my place.
The only pain I expect will be to change all my hard drives to ext4 lol, need to find the swing-space for all my stuff.

Crossing my fingers. Thanks you guys.

EDIT/P.S.
Out of all that you have tried, what would you three recommend as a flavor? The doc for my game is all saying Ubuntu, but like most Unity ain't really my thing, has it gotten better in 12.04?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom