make an ISO bootable

Status
Not open for further replies.

kpmwrestler

In Runtime
i want to add a custom menu in Ultimate Boot CD, by adding a boot image in the "custom" folder, but to do this, obviously i have to extract the iso first. I use 7zip. then i added my file to the "custom" folder and packaged the whole thing as an ISO using ISORecorder, but it isn't bootable. i am guessing when i package an ISO i have to set a flag or something that says it's bootable. how would i do this?

Iso images, disk images in particular are meant to burned to disk by themselves usually or mounted on a virtual drive. Any good Linux users can give you full details on mounting it or using a program that burns iso images in a bootable format. other burning programs simply create data not bootable disks when burning isos.

sorry for the way i stated that question, it made me sound like a n00b, but i know what an ISO is and how to boot it, i just never tried re-packaging a folder as an ISO before.

do you know by chance, any program that will do that for me? or is it possible for me to just edit somewhere in the ISO file to make it bootable?

The only thing I could think of at the moment would be creating the intended folder and extacting the files from the iso image into it. You would then burn those along with the normal layout of Ultimate Boot CD files and folders. Once loaded you would then run those files manually by browsing the disk. It wouldn't be able to auto load since that would clash with the Ultimate loading up.

As a simple iso burn you would load it in a virtual machne if some program like that could be added to Ultimate. You are ttrying to load two disks or disk images in one drive at the same time. You can see where one would compete with the other unless you can integrate it in.

no, thats not what i'm trying to do, here is what i mean:

in the ultimate boot cd iso there's a folder called "custom" and you can add your own images to it.

"You can now customize the Ultimate Boot CD by adding your own floppy images to the CD" -from the ultimate boot cd's web site.

all i want to know is how to re package the folder as a bootable iso, not just any iso.

The program used for burning Ultimate with the iso added into the custom folder would be what makes any iso bootable and not simply another data disk. If you can already burn the Ultimate Boot CD and see that boot you would simply add the iso into a project rather then a straight burn. You add the new iso into the custom folder while you have everything on the hard drive and then use a program that burns bootable disks. You would save the change there as a project with some programs.

aaahhh, so what you are saying is use a program that doesn't necessarily extract the files, but you can add files, then you can save as bootable? any programs like that? free?

DeepBurner is free. You can get that at |MG| Free Download - DeepBurner Free 1.8.0.224

For burning iso images I did come across another one that may not work for you there since it's for burning single not multiple iso iamges onto disk. That one is called BurnOn found at BurnOn CD & DVD - Free DVD Burning Software - Freeware CD burner Windows XP & Vista

It works great for live distros and even GParted for cd. You just have to put with the IE windows opening for purchase of the retail after each burn there. But it lacks the option to add files into folders you choose for burn to disk. You have to choose a single iso usually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom