Looking for other DE's

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMajor

PowerQuest / Opera
I am using SUSE, and it boots into KDE. I cannot choose another desktop environment in X.

How do I switch to Gnome?

if there isnt a way to pick it from KDE or with something like xwmconfig, then navigate to /etc/X11/xinit and you'll see some files, one will be xinit, the others will be xinit.kde or xinit.gnome etc etc, what you need to do is copy one of the others and rename it to xinit, thats where traditionally most distros keep the xinit files,thats also a global solution, some are different, some use an .XAuthority or .X%$^^*#@ file in your home directory which makes it user specific, dont know what Suse does.

omg, that's complicated. On SuSE 7.0 Pro you could simply choose it on login.

I think I will ditch SuSE and get a different distro :D

Well I dont care which distro you get, it aint going to be windows, changing a freaking text file with an editor is how 95% of things get configured in linux, you can either find a bloated distro like Mandrake that does these things graphically for you or learn to do it yourself.

In slackware for example you just type xwmconfig from a terminal and up pops a dos like window with some choices, it also comes up when you type pkgtool, or you can do it manually by copying a file

In any case, learning how to do these things is all part of it, I dont know where people get the idea that changing distros will make a huge difference, it wont, the software is all the same, just reskinned and packaged different in some cases, KDE,GNOME, and all the gnu/gpl software tools will remain the same.

When choosing a distro my general qualifications are:How long has it been around?Is it stable?Is it open source and free?Do lots of people use it?How many people involved with its development and for how long?Is it mostly original or is it something cobbled together from other's work?

I am a n00b. I do not want to start editing config files straight away. I want the best suitable Linux distro for n00bs with a nice graphical interface and simple wizards/control panels.

I want to slowly get used to it, then move on to a higher level.

You probably only have KDE installed on Suse. You should be able to install GNOME thru Suse's package installation. When you initially installed Suse it probably just defaulted to installing just KDE with an option to install additional packages where you could select several others environments.

I installed Gnome, too... but I am gonna format again because I somehow screwed my partition table.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom