Looking to load Linux onto a HD from Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

csw3190

In Runtime
I was looking to use one of my 160 WD Caviars to run Linux, and the other to run Windows XP (which i'm running now on one hd). The second hd is totally empty, nothing. How do i: a) format the second hd correctly, b) load the three portions of downloaded linux files, c) Boot into the chosen OS after the first two steps, d) not f*ck up my computer. I'm a noob at this stuff, any help would b greatly appreciated. Thanx in advance

I'll take a stab at it.........this will work for slackware, others not sure, but basic steps should be close.Make a primary dos parttiton on linux drive, and a linux partition with filesystem you want like ext2,ext3,reiserjfs etc.Also make a swap partiton.The dos partiton has to be big enough for the linux install files.Move the linux files to the dos partiton.Then it gets tricky, Im guessing your gonna need a boot disk and a kernel image disk on floppies.

Get that together and boot up using the boot floppy/kernel floppies........from there slackware's setup scripts will walk you thru confirming the partition install directories and everything else, just have to point it to where the install directory is.This is assuming the setup will let you mount that dos partition from the get go........not sure if it will.If it will this will work.

Other distros I really dont know well enough, I know network installs can be done on almost any of them, I think this can too.

After all that you can delete the linux files and remove that dos partition and make it something else if you want.Keep in mind that since this will be a dual boot machine linux will let you use the windows drive too........you will need to configure LILO to give you a boot choice so u can choose which OS at boot time.My experience with slackware anyway, is after setup it will "know" another OS is present and give you the choice without having to edit anything.

Someone else jump in and confirm this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom