Live Pendrive Linux distributions

gybmm

Beta member
Hey guys new to the forums, need some help setting up a live pendrive (using a SDHC flashdrive as the USB booter) and got a few questions :)

1. I have three usb writing programs: Universal-usb-installer, Win32DiskImager and unetbootin. Will they all create LIVE usbs or am I just writing the IMG data to the pendrive without making it live?

2. Is there a specific ISO of Linux O/S's that boot live? or a long as you write it with a live program writer you can use any Linux release?

I got Yellowdog 6.2 and Ubuntu 12.4 in their .iso formats. I can't seem to get Ubuntu to install correctly on the flash drives......I'm trying to get it to boot on an android tv box also btw.

I've used and created TAILS O/S's with great success but for some reason I cannot get any other distribution to work on my pc or my android box, when I look at it through file explorer in windows after I install to the pendrive with unetbooten or universal-usb-installer like its just data being copied to the pendrive and not making the pendrive a LIVE usb.

Also anyone have any idea how to get to a boot menu for android ICS 4.2 ? whenever I start up my android box it just instantly loads the O/S and I'm not that familiar with android. My GOAL here is trying to setup a Linux O/S and play console emulators on my android box strictly all live from pendrives, while keeping my Android O/S intact. ;)

:eek: <--------me pulling my hair out.

After some creeping around in these forums I've decided to go with Elementary O/S as my android box will probably run it better.....I still don't understand what I'm doing wrong though.
I've been trying to test boot on this laptop from startup and it just doesn't recognize any O/S on my USB (this explains my problem with booting on the android box) perhaps I didn't format the drive properly before I burned the image onto the drive?

EDIT: well I got the image installing fixed (I wasn't reformatting my drives back to fat32, lolz) but I still need to figure out how to get to a boot menu in Android !!! anyone???

Last edited:
Last edited:
To run the OS's off an android device... it would need to be compatible with an ARM CPU, and there are specific builds of Linux that run on ARM CPU's.

Back
Top Bottom