Linyx or XP Pro x64 for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jordo_99

Daemon Poster
i know that all of you guys are Linyx fans here. I'm also gonna post the same thing in the XP section so that i can hear from both sides equally so please only post in one of the sections and not both. thanks

here's my deal. i bought all my new parts and will be building this weekend. i can get XP Pro x64 for $90 (very nice price) or i was thinking of using linyx for free.

i will be Overclocking and don't know much of anything about linyx yet. i just installed ubuntu on my laptop but i'm not all that impressed yet.

will i run into problems with overclocking, gaming, codecs, music...etc. i listen to lots of music, watch lots of movies (with divx and other codecs) and play a lot of games too. that's what i'll be using this PC for.

i'm also considering just leaving linyx on my laptop and using the XP Home that's on it now. I can also post specs if need be. (the computer in my sig is now a friend's.)

all comments and advice is welcome. thanks

A few things:

1. What are the specs of your new computer?

2. It's Linux.

3. All the overclocking tools are for Windows, SuperPI, Prime95, etc. While I'm sure there are equivalent programs for Linux, the benchmark scores won't mean anything to the rest of the overclocking community.

4. Lots of awesome games for Linux, Doom 3, Quake 4, RTCW, WolfET, Quake 3, Unreal Tournaments, etc, but not all games with natively in Linux.

5. My suggestion is that you dual boot Linux and Windows. Windows is good for the few good games that aren't out for Linux, and for making your overclocking benchmarks fit in with everyone elses. Linux is good for everthing else, including all the multimedia stuff you want to do.

specs are:

E6400
Gigabyte DS3
1Gb G.Skill Ram (same model as yours)
Antec Truepower II 550W
250Gb seagate HD
XFX 7600GT
19' 1440x900 HannsG monitor.
lite-on cd/dvd
Xclio case

i'm thinking that i could take XP home off my laptop and put all my movies and music and linux on there...but i've heard of codec problems w/ it.

is XP Pro x64 that much better than home? cuz i'd consider just switching my XP Home over the my new rig and using linux on the laptop instead.

Installing Linux on my computer was the biggest pain in the arse ever. I still don't have CD-ROM support in Linux, because our IDE controller is unsupported by all but the most bleeding edge unstable release of the Linux kernel right now.

In a month or two, you should be able to install Linux on it just fine, but for now, just stick to Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom