Linux + XP + Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

That is a first. When i download from MSDN it always gives me a ISO and not a zip file. So what you would have to do is make yourself a bootable XP disc.

HOW TO: create a bootable XP SP3 CD

The steps in there should work for you. That is if you have another XP CD somewhere to use. If not then i would double check MSDN. I am checking mine now but i know i have always gotten ISO's from there and never a zip file.

Cheers,
Mak

Hello,

That is a first. When i download from MSDN it always gives me a ISO and not a zip file. So what you would have to do is make yourself a bootable XP disc.

HOW TO: create a bootable XP SP3 CD

The steps in there should work for you. That is if you have another XP CD somewhere to use. If not then i would double check MSDN. I am checking mine now but i know i have always gotten ISO's from there and never a zip file.

Cheers,
Mak

I have usually gotten ISOs also, but these are 64-bit Operating systems, that might have something to do with it? and Ubuntu did the same thing, it gives me files and folders. I'll try that guide tomorrow. PS i'm using MSDN academic alliance.

Hello Guitar,

I looked at my MSDN for 64 Bit XP from 2003 and when i tried to download it thru the File Transfer Wizard it was a ISO.

I have downloaded 32 Bit and 64 Bit versions of every Windows OS and just about every other Microsoft Application i can from there.

ftm.png

There is a shot from me just downloading it right now. So i get the ISO. It has to be something with the MSDN you have. I have a full MSDN thru my MVP.

Cheers,
Mak

I don't understand this, when i downloaded 32bit vista business it was an ISO that burned to a CD no problem. And these should be the same. The download file is even called Windows XP 64-bit ISO downloader... I don't get it. I'll delete them and try it again then i guess

oh and ubuntu did the same thing, I'm going to try this on another computer. (I hate dell AHH)

Anyone try openSuSE 11 yet? I still have 10.2 on mine with XP and Vista. Looks like they've made some huge changes.

OK well i gave up on putting all of those on my desktop, but i have been trying to install xubuntu on an old laptop and cannot seem to get it working. My latest error is "The ext3 file system creation in partiton #1 of SCSI1 failed" can anyone help me figure this out? I really want to get this working!

thanks

spoon you may want to use a software that there only works in xp/vista.
To choose which OS you want to use you can install grub. It gives a menu when you boot that allows you to choose which OS you want to use.

OK well i gave up on putting all of those on my desktop, but i have been trying to install xubuntu on an old laptop and cannot seem to get it working. My latest error is "The ext3 file system creation in partiton #1 of SCSI1 failed" can anyone help me figure this out? I really want to get this working!

thanks

I'd wipe it completely then try again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom