Votes: 0 0.0%
  • c. secure password

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
maslett said:
Don't listen to the Linux fanboys (no offence meant :)) - if you're new to computers stick to Windows. I've been using computers for 22 years so I know what I'm talking about.

Linux is a great OS if you know what you're doing but you have to be prepared to learn.

Also, don't listen to matey earlier saying XP crashes - it's very stable. *BUT* you must secure it against Spyware and all that stuff - have a look at www.aslett.net/pc-security.htm for a list of free programs you should install. An unsecured XP machine will last 12 mins on the net before it's compromised!

I think that's a little naive to say, I mean XP is pretty good for gaming, perhaps Microsoft's best OS to-date but stable prfft, come on, even microsoft admits its kernel isn't the most stable. I dont think you should go into any *nix flavor unless you really want to learn, I also do not think that you need any windows experience before you go to any *nix flavor but I agree with you in saying that you need to be willing to learn, take some hammering from other nix users for being a newbie (its part of the culture) and spend hours and hours trying to get help on an IRC channel not to mention the reading you'll have to do of man pages.

I like Windows, if it wasnt for windows I wouldnt be using *nix today it also allows me to money in the Information Technology industry, windows pc's need a lot of maintenance and people are not willing to give it what it needs, here comes gabe! hehehe just my thoughts.

Cheers! :eek: :p

depends what you will be running . for games = windows . Linux can do everything else though . try suse . its great . :)

I would use linux. I use it for everything i do(except for gaming). I like Suse and mandrake linux.

i was using windows from years but now i think i should stop using it coz it is so simple and even a child knows how to use it . now i am learning linux n will install it.
tnx

For business Liinux is definitly the way to go, its more secure, meaning hackers have a much smaller chance of getting in (and this is only if its misconfigured), and disgruntled employee's won't have the power to abuse your system without the root, or main password.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom