Linux on windows pc help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
what are some nice programs i can install on linux? i would like something like bittorrent, so i can downloads apps forr linux on suprnova. u know if there are any bittorrent for linux??

thats the KDE desktop environment, konqueror is the default browser and filemanager, its very windows like, you can drag and drop and paste and all the other windows stuff your used to :)

Check all the apps in the menu, hit the little gear shaped button where the windows start button would be, youve got a music player, movie player, and all sorts of stuff.

find the one called konsole, thats a terminal program which gives you command line access, learn the command line, you will need it.Lots and lots of commands to play with.

top will give you a readout of system processes and memory usage
ls lists files
cd changes directories
free shows disk and memory usage
df shows disk usage on mounted drives
there's about 60 commands, plus ANY program in /usr/bin can be run from there, many are available thru your menu too

Ya I have bittorrent on one box, it came with slackware, goto suse's home site and see where they keep apps or who on the webhas suse apps ready to run or install

get mplayer too-------->best damn media player there is bar none, its plays anything, even DVD's

ok, 1 lil thing hto, when i install linux, i just formatted the rest of my 1 hd like 11 gig, and an other patition for swap. I dont need an other partition to download stuff do i?If i do, is tehre a way to shrink the partition, and creat a new one?

Ya you can make the swap smaller or make it go away without hurting anything else.

As root do this:
from a terminal--if in KDE as a user, type su, then your password
swapoff /dev/hda2---that your swap partition?
then fdisk /dev/hda
fdisk is menu driven, remove the swap partition, then re-add it after a reboot
once rebooted and youve created it again to a size you want using fdisk again, 256mb is fine, youve gots boatloads of ram anyway, reboot again
then type as root swapon /dev/hda2
then navigate to /etc/rc.d and see if there's a file called rc.local or rc.S, look in those, find the one with the startup scripts the system runs at boot time, they are commented, if swapon /dev/hda isnt there you may have to go back and add it later, BUT, first check a file called /etc/fstab and see if its listed there first should be a line that looks like this:

/dev/hda2 swap swap defaults 0 0

if there's a line like that, it should mount at boot time on its own, if not add that line, and reboot, then once rebooted type df or free and see if it shows up

Now, for the extra space created by the old swap partition being shrunk, you can create another partition, using fdisk create another primary linux partition using that leftover space, then it will need to be listed in /etc/fstab:

/dev/hda4 (whereyouwantit) ext2 or reiserfs defaults 0 0

you will also have to format that partition, do this with mke2fs /dev/hda4 -(option)

option here is file system type, ext2 or ext3 or reiserjfs, check what filesystem suse used with your primary linux partiton and make them the same, if its a reiser file system, you will to use a different command to format it, I think its mkejfs /dev/hda4, but I will check

You will also need to make a directory where you will mount it, and it has to match the above in the /etc/fstab file, example /extra, so you would type mkdir /extra--->this makes a new directory at the top of the filesystem called extra.SO, your corresponding /etc/fstab file would have this line added to it:

/dev/hda4 /extra <filesystemtype> defaults 0 0

sounds complicated but it isnt.

Just make sure when usuing fdisk you write after your done and do not change the other partitions

u saying i need an other partition to install anything, and how the hell do i install mplayer? i didint download the rpm, i dlded the source. wtf i do with that? a lil walk through would help

when downloading stuff, it will be saved wherever you are, example if your user name is UTOAST, then it will end up in /home/UTOAST.

To install, not sure with suse, i think suse uses the rpm system, check and see, if so it would be rpm -i filename

for something like mplayer, once downloaded, unzip it or untar it, whatever it needs if you catfind a suse rpm file for mplayer and you have to compile it.

tar -xzvf mplayerfilename
cd mplayer*
read the README-----> pico README follow the instructions
probably ./configure
then make
then make install, be root to do this

to play a file you'd type mplayer <filename>

hint, when using the command line, hitting the tab key after a few letters will complete the rest for you

also, dont run everythign as root all the time, log in as a regular user, root is only for making system changes

NO YOU DO NOT need another partiton to install stuff, youve got lots of space left

whats the suffix for the mplayer file? tgz or maybe tar.gz

if so, tar -xzvf mplayerfilename
cd to the new directory = cd mplayer*
./configure
make
change to root= su, then root password
make install

it will spit out all kinds of stuff after a couple of these steps, dont worry
now if its spits out some errors and stops prematurely, your missing something library wise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom