Linux/Windows Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkurb03

Beta member
I have windows on my main hard drive. I recently added a new hard drive to install mandrake linux on. BIOS recognizes the new drive, and it is also recognized in hardware manager...but windows does not see the drive in my computer or explorer. I installed linux onto the new drive, but I do not have any way to boot to the drive...anyone have any suggestions on how to be able to boot to either OS...or at least for now to the new drive for linux?

Put install disk for linux back in and make sure you install the bootloader, its probably GRUB, it will be installed into the master boot record of the first drive, and set it up to offer a choice at boot time of which OS to use, this should have happened when you installed linux, you must have missed a step.

you should also be able to boot into linux by using the install disk and typing the command:

root=/dev/hdxy where xy is the linux partition, you could even once in linux create a boot floppy and not install a boot loader at all on the hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom